Which OSX to update to?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Which OSX to update to?

Post by mikehalloran »

Robert Randolph wrote:
RodneySauer wrote:I've never had any trouble with Yosemite 10.10.3 and DP 8. I don't run a lot of other non-MOTU plugins or other third-party software, but it's been perfectly stable for me.
I also have been running Yosemite and DP8. Very stable, and I do run a lot of third party software.
Same here. Mavericks was ok but I like Yosemite much better. Absolutely rock solid for me. One thing that helps is that I don't run Safari unless I have to.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Nibiru

Post by Nibiru »

What does Safari do in regards to Yosemite?
Mac Mini M2 Pro - 16gb RAM - 500gb SSD | Apollo Twin Duo MkII | UAD Satellite x 2 (thunderbolt) | UAD plugins | Dell 2721QS Monitor | PMC Result 6 | DP 11.22 | Ableton | Luna
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Same thing it did in previous OS releases. It sucks. It fails to load MOST videos and many sites that Firefox just opens instantly.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Nibiru wrote:What does Safari do in regards to Yosemite?
I was using Chrome before Yosemite because Safari was just too slow. It's fine now. Not quite as fast as Chrome, but quite usable. I made some changes to a few setting at the same time suggested by Mike H, I think partly to do with clearing caches. That was probably a part of the improvement.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Same thing it did in previous OS releases. It sucks. It fails to load MOST videos and many sites that Firefox just opens instantly.
I find things are the other way around for me in that Safari will load videos and pages that Firefox just stalls on. There are still a number of sites that don't code across browsers for compatibility.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I also suspect some sites are HTML5 while others still use Flash and QuickTime. I suppose it depends on which site we're talking about.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Safari hasn't crashed on me since I started using it in 1999.

Just sayin'.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

There are many web sites I must access every day. Chrome works best for me.

Safari is the worst -- there are some web sites where it doesn't navigate properly.

Firefox is sometimes the only browser for certain tasks such as printing shipping labels from PayPal.

There are times when Opera is best for downloading, especially when a company has released an update that everyone is trying to get.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

mikehalloran wrote:There are many web sites I must access every day. Chrome works best for me.

Safari is the worst -- there are some web sites where it doesn't navigate properly.

Firefox is sometimes the only browser for certain tasks such as printing shipping labels from PayPal.

There are times when Opera is best for downloading, especially when a company has released an update that everyone is trying to get.
Chrome has been unstable at best on my internet machine. Never tried Opera.

For me the weirdest ones are where I'm trying to fill out some kind of web form that has drop down choices and I don't see them in Firefox but do see them in Safari. I see the box for the drop down choices but the fields are blank with no choices.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Chrome has been unstable at best on my internet machine.
Chrome should be refreshed every day since any repairs will be loaded automatically.

You can make trouble tickets in the Tools menu - this is the only browser I know that you can do this. The average time is an hour or two -- they won't send you anything when it's done and you will have to close and restart to see the changes.

Chrome is 32bit only and you must have the Java 6 Run Time installed. It won't work on sites that require Java 7 or 8.
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

mikehalloran wrote:
Chrome should be refreshed every day since any repairs will be loaded automatically.

You can make trouble tickets in the Tools menu - this is the only browser I know that you can do this. The average time is an hour or two -- they won't send you anything when it's done and you will have to close and restart to see the changes.

Chrome is 32bit only and you must have the Java 6 Run Time installed. It won't work on sites that require Java 7 or 8.
More trouble than I really want to deal with in a web browser. Thanks but I'll stay with Firefox or Safari.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

So you say -- but never say how. I have never heard of Chrome crashing. Sometimes, after an update, something might not display correctly. A heads up to Google through Tools and it's fixed.
More trouble than I really want to deal with in a web browser.
I know. Find a problem, report it and it gets fixed in a couple of hours. Yea, I can see that being a real pain.

I access sites with large pdf files (800 pages +) and must use GoogleDocs while making my living. Chrome is the only browser that does these things well. That's why I use it. Those .pdf file sites take 15-20 minutes to navigate in Firefox and Safari - a few seconds to search in Chrome. It's a no-brainer for myself and my colleagues.

Safari, on certain web sites, carriage returns go to the top of the page instead of to the next line. It's a bug and I am tired of reporting it. The workaround? Don't use Safari. There are many, many others. Still, Safari is my second choice.

Besides the slow pdf file search, I dislike FireFox for two reasons. a) This MOTUNation.com site always displays mono-spaced fonts and b) There is no version of Adblocker for FireFox – all other ad blocking software I have found doesn't work as well.
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Same thing it did in previous OS releases. It sucks. It fails to load MOST videos and many sites that Firefox just opens instantly.
That, too. Never an issue in Chrome, either.
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

I recently upgraded to Yosemite from Maverivks on my Mac Pro and had no bad surprises. It's faster and has a lot of good features under the hood for what we all do with DP.

One recommendation: Coming from such an old OS, I strongly recommend you consider a clean install—that is, wipe your HD and re-build from scratch—as opposed to an "upgrade in place" (just running the installer on your system as it is). I just did that on my MBAir. Took more time and planning, but was well worth it to clean off a lot of old, obsolete system junk.

Just my 2¢. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

mikehalloran wrote:
So you say -- but never say how. I have never heard of Chrome crashing. Sometimes, after an update, something might not display correctly. A heads up to Google through Tools and it's fixed.
More trouble than I really want to deal with in a web browser.
I know. Find a problem, report it and it gets fixed in a couple of hours. Yea, I can see that being a real pain.

I access sites with large pdf files (800 pages +) and must use GoogleDocs while making my living. Chrome is the only browser that does these things well. That's why I use it. Those .pdf file sites take 15-20 minutes to navigate in Firefox and Safari - a few seconds to search in Chrome. It's a no-brainer for myself and my colleagues.

Safari, on certain web sites, carriage returns go to the top of the page instead of to the next line. It's a bug and I am tired of reporting it. The workaround? Don't use Safari. There are many, many others. Still, Safari is my second choice.

Besides the slow pdf file search, I dislike FireFox for two reasons. a) This MOTUNation.com site always displays mono-spaced fonts and b) There is no version of Adblocker for FireFox – all other ad blocking software I have found doesn't work as well.
That, too. Never an issue in Chrome, either.
LIke I said - more trouble than it's worth for a browser.

There is one thing where you are wrong - there is a version of Adblocker for Firefox and I'm running it right now and have been for years through various versions of FF. It's called Adblocker Plus. FWIW I don't run the latest version of FF because I have a stable version right now with the only problem being what I mentioned earlier in this thread. I'm of the mind that if it's stable why muck with it?