New Mac... what's important?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: New Mac... what's important?

Post by bayswater »

Maybe it's a timeout on a volume that no longer exists. I have that happen now and then. I have a USB backup drive that has no DP files of any sort on it. But when I invoke something that uses a Finder file save/open, etc, if the USB volume has spun down, the application, sometimes DP, will wait for that volume to spin back up before it will proceed. If the USB drive is turned off, it will wait a long time, presumably until it times out. So, if there was some volume present on your system that is no longer there, perhaps DP is asking the system to display them, and timing out.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

bayswater wrote:Maybe it's a timeout on a volume that no longer exists. I have that happen now and then. I have a USB backup drive that has no DP files of any sort on it. But when I invoke something that uses a Finder file save/open, etc, if the USB volume has spun down, the application, sometimes DP, will wait for that volume to spin back up before it will proceed. If the USB drive is turned off, it will wait a long time, presumably until it times out. So, if there was some volume present on your system that is no longer there, perhaps DP is asking the system to display them, and timing out.
I wonder if that is something that can be "cleared" if you're not using the timed out disc any more but the system is still looking for it?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
bayswater wrote:Maybe it's a timeout on a volume that no longer exists. I have that happen now and then. I have a USB backup drive that has no DP files of any sort on it. But when I invoke something that uses a Finder file save/open, etc, if the USB volume has spun down, the application, sometimes DP, will wait for that volume to spin back up before it will proceed. If the USB drive is turned off, it will wait a long time, presumably until it times out. So, if there was some volume present on your system that is no longer there, perhaps DP is asking the system to display them, and timing out.
I wonder if that is something that can be "cleared" if you're not using the timed out disc any more but the system is still looking for it?
I suppose if you recreate the file or template on a system where the volume does not exist, future reads and writes won't look for it. I did a couple of terminal commands, one that tells disks not to spin down for a long time and one that changes the timeout to something very short. That was some time ago and I don't recall the details, but google probably does. Some third party drives are immune to the commands on spin down.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
RodneySauer

Post by RodneySauer »

My old projects still get the spinning ball while saving, the new ones don't. So it may be disk access, or looking for a nonexistent drive, but it's peculiar to (and consistent within) the older projects. And on those projects I tried all kinds of things like putting the projects and the video on different drives from the system, or on the same drive as the system, and nothing made a difference.

During these "spins," the Activity Monitor shows D.P. being pretty hoggy with the processor (up to 25% or so) for the first twenty seconds, then its listing in Activity Monitor turns red with a "not responding" message appended for around ten seconds, and then the spinning ball goes away and all is well again.

If I'm playing back MIDI while saving, there's a fun thing where the notes stop playing about when the "not responding" happens, then as soon as the ball goes away, I get all of the backed-up MIDI notes at once as a really big, loud chord! I got good at turning down the volume on my digital piano before that happened...

Fortunately, I think that with my freshly redesigned templates, it's no longer a thing.
Last edited by RodneySauer on Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rodney Sauer
Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Thanks, Bayswater.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

It could be that DP is looking for a drive or volume that no longer exists and creating a new template fixed this.

Activity Monitor, Console and DP's (View) Background Processing are tools that can help figure out what's happening. If you want to chase this problem, that is. For myself, having solved it, I would stop looking.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro