standalone pre-amp and hd896 preamps

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
darrell
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

standalone pre-amp and hd896 preamps

Post by darrell »

Hi all,

I know I asked this question before, but I need a little bit of clarification. I just unloaded $$$ on an Avalon preamp. If I plug this puppy into my 896HD XLR inputs, will that defeat the 896's on-board preamps (on any of the three 896 input settings: +4, line, mic)? Or, is the only way to bypass mic pres on the TRS inputs (and will this compromise the low-impedence qualities of the inputs, or is TRS just a different way to move lo-imp signals around w/o compromise?)

Thanks!
Darrell
mikehalloran

Re: standalone pre-amp and hd896 preamps

Post by mikehalloran »

The manual is pretty clear.
These eight analog inputs are Neutrik™ combo connectors that accept either an XLR plug or a quarter-inch plug. They have 24-bit, 64x oversampling converters. Each input is equipped with a 3-way input level switch with three settings:

LINE: Use this setting for +4dB or -10dB inputs, such as synthesizers or consumer audio equipment. Adjust the input level as needed with the corresponding front panel Trim control and level meter for this input. This setting offers a trim range of around 30dB (approximately -16dBu to +15dBu).
+4 / FIXED: Use this setting for +4 balanced inputs for which you do not wish to modify the gain. This position disengages the front panel trim knob. This setting also provides slightly more attenuation than the LINE setting, allowing levels up to +18dBu.

MIC: This setting feeds the input signal (XLR or quarter-inch) to the built-in preamp for additional gain. Use it for any microphone or unamplified instrument pickup. Engage phantom power for condenser mics with the front-panel 48V switch (up is on). Use the corresponding front-panel trim knob and level meter to adjust the input level as needed. This setting offers a trim range of around 40dB (approximately -37dBu to +5dBu).
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
darrell

Re: standalone pre-amp and hd896 preamps

Post by darrell »

Thank you, Mike,

I know you answered this one before, but I'm not clear how an older post would show up in the forum. You are right, the manual is clear and you gave me the right answer before.

Thanks,
Darrell