Please help with my motu!!!!!!!!

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Please help with my motu!!!!!!!!

Post by James Steele »

Have you tried trimming some of the plastic around the connector of the cable. Yes, you can use the cable for Firewire, but the big difference is the metal part of the connector is longer. This is especially important on the end that connects into your PCIe-424 card. The connector has be longer to seat properly in the card. I think you said you had an AudioWire cable that came with your unit? Did you get it new or used? You might have a generic FireWire cable. Compare the Audiowire cable with another regular Firewire cable. Put the connectors up against each other. If the metal part of the connector on the Audiowire cable is not visibly longer, you have a generic Firewire cable which could be the issue. I've seen this before. Scrape off some of the plastic around the connector to expose more of the metal like Mike described.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Guitarreiro

Post by Guitarreiro »

Hi James!!!!! Yeah it,s an original cable ,it comes with The motu.
Now i don,t have any time to try mike,s modify couse i,ve got two little babies at Home...... And you could imagine.........(time is gold!!!! :rofl: )
But if the motu dealer in spain don,t says to me anything......... :banghead: :mumble: :banghead: i,ll try to do mike.s modify
Thanks for your help
Guitarreiro

Post by Guitarreiro »

Bad and sad news for me :banghead: :banghead: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: !!!!!!!!!!!
FireWire cable modification doesn,t work(cut the plastic isolation around 3-5mm) :? :cry: ,
Same things,Same messages..............
I don,t know :surrender: :surrender: :surrender:
No news from Motu dealer
Maybe something inside the interface are wrong (capacitors.pots, :?: :?: )
Thanks
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

I wonder if you could order the cable directly from MOTU.

Anyone?

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

monkey man wrote:I wonder if you could order the cable directly from MOTU.

Anyone?
Doesn't sound like it's the cable if he modified a Firewire cable with cutting back the insulation. That should work if the cable was the problem. :(
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Guitarreiro

Post by Guitarreiro »

Maybe it will be The FireWire port inside The interface(24I/O),
In a Few days, i,m Going to replace The FireWire (in) port
I,ll tell you ..........
Thanks
edised
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by edised »

Guitarreiro wrote:Maybe it will be The FireWire port inside The interface(24I/O),
In a Few days, i,m Going to replace The FireWire (in) port
I,ll tell you ..........
Thanks
Hi Guitarreiro, what happened then, has your problem been sorted?

I own a PCIX-424 with a 2408mkII interface.
It's been working great for over 15 years :) 10 years in my original G4 and G5 and the last 5 years in my hackintosh (it was the only way for me to keep using my software and PCI cards with a mac system!).
A friend of mine gave me his old UAD2 card so I had to upgrade my system from 10.6.8 to Yosemite.
(In the mean time I haven't use this computer for over 6 months).
So I reinstalled the latest Motu drivers, and the funny thing is that my 2408 is only recognised 2 out of 10 times when I boot the machine. The PCI 424 is recognised by the system, but most often than not on the PCI audio setup I get Audiowire:0 and on inputs enabled.
Also what is weird is that when the interface is working I have to select 48k to get the system sound working at the "right speed"!
My Audiowire cable is the original one but maybe it's had it...
I have contacted Motu and they told me to try any Firewire400 cable.
I need to get one and hopefully it will sort this out otherwise I'm worried my 2408 is fried up!
Mind you hey I suppose over 15 years of use isn't that bad!
Guitarreiro

Post by Guitarreiro »

Hi, i don,t know where,s your problem ,maybe drivers,maybe new OS X , maybe you must to add a new post with your problem
If you worked ok 15 years ,it,s very strange