AVB and MIDI question

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
webweave
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

AVB and MIDI question

Post by webweave »

I'm working with a small band on upgrading and simplifying their live show rig. They have a huge array of low/medium quality gear that is becoming too unwieldy to use on the road and is starting to cause them a lot of problems.

One way is to build them a traditional road rig with rack gear and MIDI switchers for whatever stomp boxes they need. The other common way today is to go with modern high quality computer interfaces and run computers during the show.

I'm looking at a third way of using two AVB interfaces and linking them together with the AVB Ethernet jacks. Ideally one box would be FOH in a rack with whatever else needs to be there (Macintosh? control surface? talkback? effects? etc.) and the other onstage (two mics, two guitars, two MIDI foot controllers, monitors, etc.)

I've read the manuals and posed the question to MOTU but I don't have an answer.

-When two AVB devices are attached via only AVB Ethernet. If one interface is attached to a computer can I access the MIDI jacks on the remote through the AVB cable?

-On a single UltralightAVB can I plug in a MIDI foot controller and adjust the DSP settings? For example if I plugged in a Behringer FCB1010 MIDI foot controller can I use one expression controller to adjust volume, can I use the footswitches to turn on and off the reverb or the compressor? This would greatly reduce the devices required for our live show and more than justify the added cost of the MOTU gear.

Thank you,
-Brian
Mac Studio Ultra
828x, Ultralight mk3, Focusrite 6i6
monkey man
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: AVB and MIDI question

Post by monkey man »

Hey Brian,

Well, AVB stands for, I think, Audio-Video Bridge... or something like that. AFAIK, there's no MIDI involved at all, unfortunately for you.

Somehow I doubt you could control the DSP using MIDI, regardless of the source. I don't think it's automatable either as it resides in this physical units and not in your DAW.

Sorry to be the bringer of bad tidings, mate. Even if you could monitor the data stream whilst adjusting any of the FX from the front panel or via the Mac's software, because all tweaks are context-sensitive (i.e. they rely on the current focus), I just can't see how one could do this.

You never know 'though, some Unicorn genius might've figured out a way to do this. Fingers crossed someone has something more akin to good news for you, mate.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
webweave
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by webweave »

Thanks Monkey, So that's a no and a no. MIDI data is such a tiny footprint compared to 192k audio and video why couldn't they have just slipped it in? Too bad as it would have really simplified this rig I'm building to not need a computer.

About the automation of cuemix, I guess MOTU needs to release some dev kit or a MIDI implementation of these features before we get more than click and drag. That's a drag.

Looks like I can do what I want with a Mac and a UltraLite-mk3 Hybrid with MainStage and some MIDI foot controllers and two snakes. Better plan for two macs, still don't like the idea of booting up a computer for a live duo.
Mac Studio Ultra
828x, Ultralight mk3, Focusrite 6i6
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

I've heard you can control CueMix sliders with HUI-style DAW surfaces, but don't hold me to that as I haven't seen it first-hand. Just sayin' as it could speed up the process of, say, writing the moves to your automation recorder.

Then again, it could be that I heard folks asking for said control via the HUI protocol... don't know, but it could be something to check out?

Sorry I've no magic bullet. If it's poomunition you require, I'm your guy, but automunition? Not so sure... :?

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
deemeetree

Post by deemeetree »

Hi, any news on being able to control AVB interfaces with an external controller?
Skeyelab

Post by Skeyelab »

This is likely because MIDI over IP is already supported by OSX and Windows.

Here is some info on the topic for OSX: https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... er-network

however, I prefer IPmidi: http://www.nerds.de/en/ipmidi_osx.html

Here is some info for Windows users: http://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/rtpmidi.html

(It seems i missed the issue in the OP where there weren't going to be computers involved. Sorry, i've no solution for that. Leaving these links here for reference)