Recommendations for New Thunderbolt Interface

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
scottlawson
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Recommendations for New Thunderbolt Interface

Post by scottlawson »

O knowledgeable Unicorns: I need your wisdom. Although my 2006 (!) MacBook Pro is still functioning flawlessly (knock wood) as my dedicated audio computer, I don't want to trust the fates and plan to buy a new MB Pro. But I'm concerned that my current interfaces may not play well with the Thunderbolt/USB 3 (via adaptors). I'm using DP version 7.24 and use, alternately, an 896 HD and a Traveler (early models) via Firewire 400. My audio goes to (and resides on) Firewire drives. And, consistent with my caveman status, I have many of my plugin licenses on a first-generation iLok. It all works happily together. I regularly use the 8 XLR inputs on the 896 to record full bands, so I'd like to continue to have that ability. I would also like to be able to send digital signal out for mastering (I currently use the AES/EBU outs on the Traveler). So, here are my 3 questions for you all:
1. If I get the new MB Pro, will my current setup work using T-Bolt-FW or USB3-FW adapters, or are those still glitchy and flawed?
2. If using my current interfaces is implausible, what T-Bolt interface would you recommend? The catch being that I'd prefer not to spend more than $1000. The 828x seems promising, but doesn't have AES/EBU outputs (thoughts on the 828x would be appreciated).
3. Are there any other reasons why you'd recommend not getting the new MB Pro under the above circumstances (e.g., all my ancient but much-beloved plugins will be rendered inoperable; everything will explode, etc.)?
Thanks in advance for your help.
mikehalloran

Re: Recommendations for New Thunderbolt Interface

Post by mikehalloran »

USB to FireWire does not exist, never will.

Many are using their FW interfaces over TB via the adapter. Buss power is out of the question since the adapter only passes 7V.

As to what TB interface might be best, you need to tell us more of what you plan to do, not how you intend to do it.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
scottlawson

Post by scottlawson »

Thanks, Mike. Sounds like the bus power issue will be my biggest concern, but that's manageable.

As for what I plan to do with it, I'd like to be able to record at least 8 microphones simultaneously for basic tracks and live recording. I can go through my hardware mixing board or outboard pre's, so phantom power is not a big issue there (i.e., 1/4-inch TRS ins should work, although a couple with phantom would be good occasionally for overdubbing. I would also use the device as my hardware driver for mixing. And I'd hoped (perhaps against hope) to be able to send digital signal via AES to my MasterLink or Tascam CD recorder for rough mixes, etc.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

The 8M, 16A or 828x will do what you want -- which will depend ...

As for AES, from Sound on Sound:

The proper way to connect AES to S/PDIF is to use a dedicated digital format converter, of which there are plenty around (although some older designs only pass 16 bits rather than the full 24, so check before buying). The M Audio CO3 and the Behringer Ultramatch and Ultramatch Pro probably represent the most affordable options.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

scottlawson wrote:O knowledgeable Unicorns: I need your wisdom.
If you get it, please fang some my way, bro'. Much needed here.
scottlawson wrote:... consistent with my caveman status...
Take a look at me, brah! You won't feel so bad.
scottlawson wrote:1. If I get the new MB Pro, will my current setup work using T-Bolt-FW or USB3-FW adapters, or are those still glitchy and flawed?
I've got an 828 mkIII Hybrid hangin' off (I think) a 2010 lappie via a TB->FW adapter. Runs fine. It's my "media centre" for fillums, music videos, Iron Chef and other high-tech doobywackies.

It's temporarily, for a few seconds only, lost contact with the Mac probably 3 or 4 times over the years. This manifested as a few seconds of glorious silence. No clicks or pops. Just off and then on. You'd have to say this record is pretty darn good, and this is on Lion 10.7.2, not the most sophisticated or stable OS.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here