Word CLock Sync & 828mk2usb+mk3 FW

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
IKKAKUJUU
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Word CLock Sync & 828mk2usb+mk3 FW

Post by IKKAKUJUU »

Hello,its 2 main questions,related to each other so apologies for the dense presentation!...
Could you confirm for me the right way to sync up multiple units of 828/Traveler.User guide says beyond 2 units best use a word-clock device.
I have a MIDI Timepiece which has word clock output & Smpte out,i see the 828's& traveler have word clock input ,,but it says don't chain word clock. I unclear as to what gets linked to what seeing as the MTPAV only has one each of these outputs.
Is it best for the audio side to connect the 828's via optical rather than FW Cables?
Do you think an MBP 4.1 can handle 24 1/0 96KHz on one FW Bus,as per 3 units daisy chained? 4 units?
Also on a USB bus can i integrate older 828Mk2 USB interfaces ,also daisy chaining 3 or 4 to 1 USB Bus or will this somehow conflict with the newer interfaces? (i have an old EMU & AKAI sampler,and i am being offered for sale some MK2 interfaces at a price equivalent of a simple patchbay so it seems like a good deal,,,,but if it screws things up,,then i'd rather wait and get some more 828mk3.Anyway,,,i am trying to get 48 i/o if possible at 96Khz.
Not sure if the MBPRo will hand that, 32 to 48 track real-time could well be a real need in the near future.(i know i should upgrade the computer sometime,,that too is the sense of my question re compatiblity,present & Future ;if i get the cheap Mk2's ,,will they be able to follow when i upgrade my Mac ,or then become obsolete?(sooner or later i suppose they will,but maybe you see something i do not,,hence my posting!,)Apologies for rather dense question,that's as simple as i could formulate it!...

1. Do i 1.FW bus 1 >FW Cable >828mk3,<optical(or FW?)>828mk3>FW>Traveler.
Word Clock/SMPTE?
2.USB bus >USB Cable>828mk2>USB>828Mk2>USB>828Mk2.
Word Clock/Smpte.
(or for 2. better to use a 2nd FW bus and do it with 828Mk3's?....

THanks...
IKKAKUJUU
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Word CLock Sync & 828mk2usb+mk3 FW

Post by IKKAKUJUU »

I just read in the user guide that it is no more than 2 units daisy chained on a firewire bus at 2x sampling rate,,,so that seems to put an end to my idea of 24 i/o 96khz on 1 bus!....maybe i'll just stick to 48Khz!...
It says that even if the Mac has multiple FW plugs they may be on the one single FW bus,,,do you know if that is so for my MBP4.1?....it has a FW400 & FW800 ,,,so i'm hoping they are separate. Then maybe i can do 2 per each FW port and then 2 on an USB port for my 48 i/o ,,96Khz .
If it is just 2 units daisy chained by optical to FW & USB ,does this mean i no longer have to worry about connecting to some word clock provider in that scenario,?

THanks...