1248 trapped in the Matrix

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
starbearer76
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

1248 trapped in the Matrix

Post by starbearer76 »

First... yes... read manual. Please reserve any "know it all" responses that only help you feel better about your self and not so much having a genuine intention to offer help to your fellow man.

I am evaluating this newly designed 1248. Not quite set on it.

I'm using DP8. I've used older Motu interfaces throughout the past 8-9 years. I've used countless other interfaces from other companies. So I must admit this question sounds like a newby question, but I'm hoping this is a REAL easy thing to resolve.

I'm trying to track a vocal over a guitar track. I want latency free monitoring, so in the mixer window I have my mic input turned up to optimal gain and I have it routed to the mains which is routed to my phones in the routing matrix. Now... when I play the guitar track out of 1-2 in DP its coming out of "from computer" in the routing matrix window. I'm not finding an option to route the mains and 1-2 "from computer" to the phones at the same time. The routing matrix is only letting me select one source for the phones 1-2. It won't let me select both the playback track 1/2 and the mixer. So how am I to track listening to the guitar track and zero latency monitor my mic?

Is there a way to select multiple output sources for the assignable outputs? I've even had the apple button pushed while selecting both mains and "from computer 1/2" but as soon as I select another source, the square from the other source disappears.

Gonna have to say (MOTU IF YOU ARE LISTENING) I very much prefer RME's mixer window. I can route multiple outputs to the phone's and its easy. I'm not a fan of RME's sound, but I need flexibility when it comes to routing. Its a must.

Or... I'll just buy an older MOTU. Cuemix/motu audio setup was really nice... not as flexible as the RME but I can zero/lat monitor and listen to the audio tracks I'm recording with with my phones at the same time.

I'm guessing someone is smacking their forehead seeing that I've missed something obvious. Please let me have it. I deserve it, but seriously... real answers that have some actual actionable facts only.

Cheers!!
way are the complicated things so simple and the simple things so complicated?
starbearer76

Re: 1248 trapped in the Matrix

Post by starbearer76 »

Thought I fixed it, but no... when I route something in the mixer window it also re routes it in the matrix window. It won't allow for the multiple selection of output sources to a common output destination. Again... unless I'm really missing something.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

starbearer76 wrote:Please reserve any "know it all" responses that only help you feel better about your self and not so much having a genuine intention to offer help to your fellow man.

... real answers that have some actual actionable facts only.
You're aware of which forum you're on, I take it? Not necessary, starbearer76.

I've not yet upgraded to the AVB system, but it's in the works, and obviously I'm not familiar with its modus operandi at this point. However it seems to me that you should be able to route the mains as well as "from computer" to a stereo buss (perhaps naming it "headphones"), which you'd select for the h'phone input.

Another approach, and far simpler if doable, might be to assign the "from computer" outs to the mains buss (or whichever your mic is on) in addition to its current path. I've heard that one can assign multiple destinations, as well as sources, in the window that looks like DP's bundles window; it's an assignment matrix at any rate.

Hope this helps, starbearer76, and please give the forum a chance before putting us in a box. To ask for help with warnings attached does come across as, well, somewhat demanding and controlling, for want of a better way of putting it. Nobody's going to bite your head off, no matter the "noobness" of the question. Hey, we've all been there, mate, and I'd say we all get to revisit the situation on occasion... I especially!

Cheers,
Nicky

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

First assumption is that you are fully ITB, no analog mixer present.

It's not clear that you are using the AVB mixer, only that you are making selections in the matrix. That's what you'll have to do for fully ITB monitoring, routing both input and playback to mixer channels, mixer output feeding your cue system. May require changing your 'audio patch thru' settings in DP from what you are used to using.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
MOTU_TechSupport

Post by MOTU_TechSupport »

Thanks for writing starbearer76.

Here is the best way to address this scenario. Let's break it down into steps.

The Mic input needs to be recorded, so it will certainly be patched to the "To Computer 1" audio stream. If you simply wanted to monitor this input through the Phones, or Mains, it could just be patched directly to that physical output, disable monitoring in your DAW and you'd be all set; you can record and monitor that input with two connections. However, as you have found, you won't be able to make a second direct patch (From Computer 1-2) to the same output pair (Phones).

The key in the routing grid, is each output can only receive one input (you cannot make horizontal lines / have two tiles placed in the same row). Inputs can be sent to multiple outputs (you can make vertical lines), but part of the issue you are running into is trying to send two things (Mic and From Computer 1-2) to the Phones output. Like a traditional patch-bay, you can't do this.

Since the Mic input itself can be sent to multiple destinations, route it to Mix In channel 1 as well. This will send the mic signal to the onboard mixer while it is also being sent to your DAW for recording via "To Computer 1" (make sure you've enabled mixer channels from the device tab; we'll need at least 3 in this scenario).

You want to send your DAW's playback to the same monitor mix, so you can control and monitor both your live input (Mic 1) and your computer's playback (From Computer 1-2) from the same place, (the AVB mixer tab); patch From Computer 1-2 to Mix In 2-3. Lastly, you want to monitor this mix through your Phones, so patch the Main Mix return bus (listed as the Mix Main input in the Routing tab) to Phones 1-2. Here is a shot of the full Routing layout.

Once configured, you are done with the Routing grid, and can swing over to the Mixing tab. This is where things look a lot like CueMix on the older MOTU audio interfaces. I generally find its easier to de-select any mixer inputs that aren't being used so they aren't in view from the Mixer Inputs section on the left. Unmute your three Mixer channels (which now assume the name of the input you assigned them to), and position their faders appropriately. Main Mix master fader on the right can be unmuted and positioned as well, and be sure the Main Send fader under the pan knob of each mixer channel is set to 0dB (which is the default position).

You should be able to confirm signal when speaking into the mic, and when playing audio back from your DAW, and hear both at the same time through your Phones.

Hopefully the length of this response doesn't further your feelings of this setup being complicated. The Routing grid is a new look, but becomes second nature after working with it for a few sessions. Once your routing is set, as mentioned, the Mixer tab view looks very CueMix-ish, and you'll seamlessly become acquainted with it.

If you have any further issues on setting this up, feel free to reach out to our Tech Support team anytime. http://www.motu.com/techsupport

Thanks!
Last edited by MOTU_TechSupport on Wed May 20, 2015 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
starbearer76

Post by starbearer76 »

First, thanks for all the time y'all took to answer my question. Though I think it would just be way way way better if Motu amended this design of this driver and make it so that an output source can be routed to multiple destinations... just like RME does and if I'm not mistaken some of the old M-Audio interfaces had too in some respects.

Second, Not calling anyone specific group of people or person out on my opening sentence, but all forums are alike and I've seen a bit of know-it-all-ness on this forum just like any other. I don't contribute to this forum but I've read it a lot over the years. However yes yes yes... the manners on this forum ARE more often than not quite civil. But... we're all human so there's no 100% escaping it, and so I prefer to preemptively squash any of that potential stuff.

Thirdly... I think I'm going to try out a few more interfaces and leave this one alone (not to say I won't come back to it). I may tweak with the solutions you all offered, but this is the most convoluted driver's I've seen in a long time (my opinion of course not meaning it to be a fact).

I very much prefer the RME drivers, but... RME's sound pretty sand paper-ish. Of course like I've stated before... I really miss that ol legacy cue mix. But... these new MOTU interfaces DO sound better.

Again... thank you. MUCH appreciated.

Cheers!!!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Second, Not calling anyone specific group of people or person out on my opening sentence,
No, you're calling everyone out. Stop it.
but all forums are alike and I've seen a bit of know-it-all-ness on this forum just like any other
Let's see... there have been a few "know it all" comments in this thread, I agree. You made every one of them.

You asked for detailed help, MOTU Support addressed it directly which is extremely rare and then you criticised it because it wasn't what you expected to read.

There's no pleasing some people, is there?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

starbearer76 wrote:First, thanks for all the time y'all took to answer my question.
My pleasure, starbearer.
starbearer76 wrote:Second, Not calling anyone specific group of people or person out on my opening sentence...
Thinly-veiled? I reckon!
starbearer76 wrote:... but all forums are alike...
Yeah, they all feature people. That's about where the similarities end, I'd have thought.
starbearer76 wrote:... and I've seen a bit of know-it-all-ness on this forum just like any other.
Yup. Nobody's perfect, even here.
starbearer76 wrote:However yes yes yes... the manners on this forum ARE more often than not quite civil.
I'm sure we all appreciate this concession, mate. Thank you.
starbearer76 wrote:But... we're all human so there's no 100% escaping it, and so I prefer to preemptively squash any of that potential stuff.
Wha? Another qualifier?

Mate, you can't go through life issuing warnings or other constraints to folks every time you ask questions, can you? We're all human, after all, not robots. I mean, life's what happens when one has other things planned; that's IMHO much of what makes it interesting. Of course we'd all love people to provide us with knowledge on our terms, but I'm sorry to say that, IMHO at least, this simply isn't realistic.

You could've just asked the question and, should the replies have failed to meet your expectations, kindly prompted us to provide something of substance, if possible. Nobody would have failed to appreciate the situation, IMHO.

Instead, you've barged in, so to speak, made "demands" and tactlessly lumped this forum into a box in which I can confidently say none of us would choose to be housed. The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that you got of lightly, again, so to speak.
starbearer76 wrote:Thirdly... I think I'm going to try out a few more interfaces and leave this one alone (not to say I won't come back to it). I may tweak with the solutions you all offered, but this is the most convoluted driver's I've seen in a long time (my opinion of course not meaning it to be a fact).
I think it all looks this way to mere mortals such as you and me 'cause MOTU's devised such a comprehensive feature set so as to be able to cover practically every typical professional scenario. I'm thinking live sound FOH and foldback, studio complexes, museum installations and so on. You and I only require a small subset of these features, so it's surely to be expected that the design would seem like overkill.

I know I'm going to be confused by it all once I jump onboard; it's just the way it's gonna be. My priority therefore, will be to get the system up and running and to (try to!) not fiddle with any aspect of it unless absolutely necessary. Networks have always been confusing to me, and I doubt that aspect of it, as well as the complexity of MOTU's AVB routing / mixing system, will be any different.
starbearer76 wrote:... I really miss that ol legacy cue mix. But... these new MOTU interfaces DO sound better.
Everything I've heard suggests they're the best bang for the buck out there and do indeed sound superb.
starbearer76 wrote:Again... thank you. MUCH appreciated.
Pleasure, starbearer. I appreciate that you appreciate it.
Nicky

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

One way to get what you want is to ask multiple choice questions.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Your genius knows no boundaries, Stoivo.

I can see it now:

Option A) Yes
Option B) No
Option C) Not sure
Option D) Start to answer... then run a mile
Option E) Flame me, thereby feeding your ego for free
Option F) Discuss the most irrelevant subject you can think of, just for the annoyance factor
Option G) Recommend the question be posed over at BeerGutz... then flame me for asking it

That should cover most of the trolls who frequent this place on a daily basis. Not! :lol:

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I thought Option (a) should be "throw some poo"
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Doh! I must be way off my game, Stoivo.

Off to polish some turds, then. Gotta get mah flingin' arm happenin' again.