impossible to turn down the volume MOTU 2408 Mk2

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: impossible to turn down the volume MOTU 2408 Mk2

Post by mikehalloran »

philbordo wrote:yes this is it
but I regret not being able to control the volume by OSX software
Cheer up. You would have the same problem in Windows.

In the good/bad old days, your multitrack tape deck went through a mixer. The tape machine had inputs but only consumer home decks had output controls. Pro and semi-pro multitracks had no output controls since your mixer controlled that and your monitors were fed by the mixer.

A good example would be the Teac A-3340S and A-3440, marketed originally as consumer products (yes, really, these were four track decks originally meant for home hobbyists and audiophiles) vs the later TASCAM 40-4 marketed to "professionals". Oh my, I have one of each in my basement.

2-Track mastering decks often had output controls since you didn't need a mixer between it and the cutting amplifier. In the studio, however, you still ran it through your mixer for monitoring.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
starbearer76

Post by starbearer76 »

I don't have one in front of me but is the MK2 one that has a jumper inside the unit? Take the lid off and look by the phones pot. This could have been on the MK1 only, but if I'm right... there's a jumper that makes it so that the pot controller only the phones OR the phones AND the main outs.
way are the complicated things so simple and the simple things so complicated?
philbordo

Post by philbordo »

hi
thank you all for your responses. The technical hotline MOTU helped me out.
He advised me to simply update the driver and everything works now. there is an option to control the volume of the sound card via the Mac volume. The case is resolved.
Thank a lot
Philippe