I cannot update Motu MIDI XT firmware.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
wquine
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

I cannot update Motu MIDI XT firmware.

Post by wquine »

I have tried on OSX and windows, I have tried different xt's (i have 3) I have tried different usb cords. I'm at my whits end, what am I doing wrong. my daw sees the xt and i can use them so why can't the firmware upgrader? losing it here :x
wquine

Re: I cannot update Motu MIDI XT firmware.

Post by wquine »

Trying to get through on tech support but getting BUSY SIGNAL... NOT EVEN CALL WAITING?!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Does this apply to you?

http://www.motu.com/techsupport/technot ... changelog/

NOTE: These firmware updates are only applicable to MIDI Express XT units that have a serial number starting with ‘MXT’. Units that have a serial number starting with ‘MEXT’ or ‘MXXTU’ cannot be updated.

Earlier versions were only updatable by switching out a chip set. The replacement sets were discontinued in 2012 and are no longer available.

If you do have one that can be updated, I found this:

To boot your MIDI Express XT into a firmware update mode, connect the unit to your computer via USB, and Press and Hold the STRIPE button while powering the unit on. Follow the Firmware Updater's on-screen instructions.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
wquine

Post by wquine »

Hmm, I didn't know there was another revision of the newer style models so my assumtion is that you are right (thanks for enlightening me). I say assumption because I guess the stickers on my units are all missing.

This is kind of frustrating by motu to have this happen on the newer style just like the older style.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

When you power the unit on, it should display a firmware version. What is that number?

That should give a clue as to what version of the XT you have.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro