828 Mk3 Firewire - No sound out from Mac

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
Cacus
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

828 Mk3 Firewire - No sound out from Mac

Post by Cacus »

Hi all

I have a 828 Mk3 Firewire unit and last night I was playing some iTunes music out through it. Any how a few songs in there was a short static/digital distortion sound from the unit and then no audio and not just through the speakers but also the meters on the unit stopped showing signs of any thing present.

Now I had a MIDI device connected through one of the digital ins and when I play the demo song from that I do get sound out.

Opening CueMix FX shows nothing in the sense of meters bouncing up and down however while the MIDI device is playing you can control the volume from cuemix on both the main and the s/pdif channels (were the MIDI unit is attached). Nothing shows on cuemix itself but the unit is controlled. Also if you say run MOTU Audio step then you can change stuff like clock rate and the corisponding lights on the unit change.

I've tried reinstalling the MOTU audio drivers but no joy.

The only thing I can think of doing is reformatting the drive and starting from scratch but that's a major job as there's loads of other app's which will just make it a pain.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Cheers
Steve
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: 828 Mk3 Firewire - No sound out from Mac

Post by bayswater »

I'd check the FW cable first, but otherwise nothing obvious comes to mind. It might help if you list the details of your system. What OS, what driver and software versions etc.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
alanpfd

Post by alanpfd »

I started having exactly the same problem today. After a few minutes of recording, I get a soft click and then no sound. I tried a lot of fixes, but the only thing that works is to restart the 828 and quit MOTU Audio Setup, wait until I hear a small pop through my speakers and then restart Audio Setup. Unfortunately, that only gives me a few minutes until the same thing happens. I assume the 10.10.3 system update broke something.

I'm on a Mac Pro (Late 2013) running 10.10.3.
828 mk3 Firewire
I just reinstalled the driver, so it is version v4.0.5.9644
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Quit MOTU Audio Setup.app as soon as you are done with it. It is not necessary once you have set things up.

See if that helps.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Cacus
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Cacus »

Hi all

My thanks for the replies. Things seem to be working now but couldn't give an exact reason why. However I did re-seat all the FW cables, reinstalled the audio drivers and factory reset the 828. While individually non of these things had an effect first time repeating this and the usual power on/off and reboots have eventually got things going.

At least the 828 is (currently) ok.

Cheers
Steve
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Just in case, do you have the latest firmware?

http://www.motu.com/techsupport/technot ... changelog/

True, this update is many years old but some early adopters may have never received the memo.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro