UltraLite AVB connectivity issues since OS X 10.10.3 update

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
chrismarquardt
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

UltraLite AVB connectivity issues since OS X 10.10.3 update

Post by chrismarquardt »

Not sure if it's related, but since updating to Mac OS 10.10.3 I've had repeated problems connecting to the UltraLite AVB (connected through the USB port).

Symptom: sometimes I get "Could not communicate with server", sometimes I get the Web UI, but neither the meters move, nor do the faders have any effect. The MOTU AVB discovery app shows the device all the time.

Fix attempts:
1) I've managed to temporarily fix this by rebooting the computer, and when that didn't help, by rebooting the computer PLUS factory resetting the UltraLite.
2) I've re-downloaded the MOTU AVB Installer 1.0.6 and installed it, and that also temporarily seems to fix things, even though that could also be because the installer requires a reboot.

Any ideas?

I have a theory: one area of the 10.10.3 release was around fixing Wifi issues (and I assume general network-related stuff).

It's either that or something's wrong with my UltraLite AVB.
Firmware shows as 1.2.0+128 - 03/02/15 12:50:26
ronausti
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: UltraLite AVB connectivity failures Windows 7 Firefox

Post by ronausti »

I'm having the same or similar "Could not communicate with device" problem in Windows 7 Ultimate using Firefox. Has happened three times since installing the product yesterday. The only solution is to reboot the computer.

Because I'm on a Windows system, and I don't want to duplicate posts, please see details here:
http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 14&t=59700
FlavioB

Re: UltraLite AVB connectivity issues since OS X 10.10.3 upd

Post by FlavioB »

Hi Chris,
it happens that I'm experiencing "similar" issues with my 828 MK3 Hybrid - and this only after upgrading to 10.10.3 !!!
I got it connected via Firewire and it happens that MOTU Audio Setup shows that it's NOT CONNECTED :-/ After some time (almost 20-30 seconds, but also more) it gets shown again. CueMix FX then does not work anymore, in terms of faders not having any effect on the 828 itself.
I already opened a support ticket at MOTU and they suggested to remove all MOTU related software/drivers, then I rebooted and installed the audio drivers and stuff back. The behavior didn't change :-( I will try with USB as well in the next days, but I doubt it will have any positive impact.

What do you ppl think?

@Chris: do you have any other OS X (older than 10.10.3) to test with? That would be my next step...

Kind regards,
F.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I will try with USB as well in the next days, but I doubt it will have any positive impact.
Don't be so certain till you have tried it.

Apple FW devices don't seem to like hubs. Sometimes, if daisy-chained, they want to be first in line. Never hot-swap a FireWire device – if you're lucky, only the ports will go down (motherboards can get fried). See below.

Do you know that your FW ports are active? It doesn't take too much to disable them such as hot-swapping and using many FW hubs. The last time mine went down, it took three times resetting the NV RAM (PRAM) to bring them back to life. The first two times didn't work but I tried once more with an AppleCare tech on the phone and they worked again.

TechTool Pro lets me see if my ports are working or not so I don't have to guess. I have had this issue on three Macs so knowing when the ports go down saves a lot of time.

USB ports can go down, too, although it's never happened to me. Others have reported this. Again, resetting the NV RAM brings those back as long as there are no motherboard issues.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
FlavioB

Post by FlavioB »

Hi Mike,
indeed your words were savvy :) I played with my MOTU 828 MK3 Hybrid for like half an hour via USB and I didn't have any sort of disconnects or whatsoever.
I also reset the NVRAM or PRAM of my MBP, but before I connect it via FireWire again, please tell me how it should be done to avoid failure.
Should both devices (MBP and MOTU) be completely powered off before connecting? And only after the FireWire cable is plugged into both ends, start power them on?
And how to proceed when disconnecting?
Thanks,
F.
FlavioB

Post by FlavioB »

Hi again.
I've now connected via FireWire again. This time I did it this way:
both devices (828 and MacBook) were not powered;
connected firewire cable;
turned on 828;
turned on MacBook.

It worked ok for a couple of minutes - I could change volumes from CueMix and saw the meters working.

I left it this way - had to do something else.
When I came back, MacBook was "sleeping" and after I got again logged in, CueMix wouldn't work anymore :(
What am I doing wrong here?
Any help?
F.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Are you running the latest firmware? I see that there have been two updates: one in February and another on 3/17/2015.

This is the firmware change log site. It should be checked occasionally if you have MOTU devices capable of downloadable firmware updates:

http://www.motu.com/techsupport/technot ... changelog/
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Should both devices (MBP and MOTU) be completely powered off before connecting? And only after the FireWire cable is plugged into both ends, start power them on?
And how to proceed when disconnecting?
Never hot swap a Firewire device. Way too many reports of everything from crashed FW ports to motherboard issues caused by sparking and short circuits.

It is quite ok to turn your devices on and off with the cable connected.

So. connect and disconnect and disconnect your FW devices with your computer and the device both off.

On a side note, my MOTU devices hate any FW hub that I have ever tried – crashed my FW ports when my 828mkII was connected. I've tried them on my G4s, G5 and various iMacs and MacBooks we have around here – doesn't seem to matter what brand. (I still have a couple but my 828 does not go through them anymore).

As I mentioned earlier, I use TechTool Pro to check my ports. Port status shows on the main screen eliminating guesswork if there is a problem.
FlavioB

Post by FlavioB »

mikehalloran wrote:Are you running the latest firmware? I see that there have been two updates: one in February and another on 3/17/2015.

This is the firmware change log site. It should be checked occasionally if you have MOTU devices capable of downloadable firmware updates:

http://www.motu.com/techsupport/technot ... changelog/
Hi Mike.
I checked the firmware and my unit has 1.00 - on the website there's 1.01 so I upgraded successfully. Where did you see 3/17/2015? Or maybe you looked under a different model? Mine is an 828 MK3 Hybrid.

BR,
F.