Monitoring the 16A

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
sinik
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Monitoring the 16A

Post by sinik »

Hello Everybody

I've just purchased the 16A audio interface. Before i was using the Steinberg UR28M. Since i needed more analog inputs and outputs, i had to go for the 16A. My problem now is, how can i monitor the 16A. On the Steinberg interface, i had the option to plug in my headphones or mute the line-out of my studio-monitor-boxes, for example. I really need those two options.

Can i combine the two interfaces, so that they are working together, or is there a controler for the 16A which will solve my problem?

What about using the 16A and the MicroBook2?

As you can see, im a little bit lost with my situation...

Thanks for a answer
sinik
HCMarkus

Re: Monitoring the 16A

Post by HCMarkus »

ideal: monitor controller.

like this: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MonitorStatV2
sinik

Post by sinik »

HCMarkus wrote:ideal: monitor controller.

like this: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MonitorStatV2
Thank you! Looks like what ive been searching for. How do you handle the connection with this controller. Go from the analog outs of the A16 to the input of the PreSonus? Do i have to connect the speakers separetly?

Thanks a lot
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

The Presonus has two monitor buses, so you can have two separate headphone mixes when monitoring if you connect two analog output pairs from the 16a to the Presonus analog ins. And yes, you connect the speakers pairs (up to three) to the speaker outs on the Presonus. You determine which pair you listen to with monitor selector buttons. You control speaker level with the big knob on the Presonus, and each of the four headphone amp outputs with the little knobs that "go to 11" on the v2 version.

There are similar monitor controllers available from other manufacturers. I happen to like the one I linked to (I have the v1 version). It is affordable, and the headphone amps are very solid and powerful enough to drive headphones to "stun" (drummer level). But don't hesitate to take a look around before buying.
sinik

Post by sinik »

HCMarkus wrote:The Presonus has two monitor buses, so you can have two separate headphone mixes when monitoring if you connect two analog output pairs from the 16a to the Presonus analog ins. And yes, you connect the speakers pairs (up to three) to the speaker outs on the Presonus. You determine which pair you listen to with monitor selector buttons. You control speaker level with the big knob on the Presonus, and each of the four headphone amp outputs with the little knobs that "go to 11" on the v2 version.

There are similar monitor controllers available from other manufacturers. I happen to like the one I linked to (I have the v1 version). It is affordable, and the headphone amps are very solid and powerful enough to drive headphones to "stun" (drummer level). But don't hesitate to take a look around before buying.
Thank you.

Sorry for another newbie-question but i wanna be on the safe side, since im willing to buy this thing; I connect a stereo pair cables from the audio out of the 16A to the line in's on the Presonus and the speaker cables to the speaker outs of the Presonus. So that the Studio-Monitor-Speakers run "completely" withouth the 16A and all trough the Presonus?

I think this will be the solution...
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Sounds about right.

I use an oldish Mackie desk for this, but that's overkill, and I suspect boxes like these would be of higher quality since the I/O count is minimal and therefore higher-spec'd components could be utilised.
Last edited by monkey man on Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Used balanced cables (TRS) for best results.
Note that the 16A requires special cable wiring if you go unbalanced.
sinik

Post by sinik »

Thanks for the input, yall really helped me with this one..

I already use balanced TRS Cables for my connection between my JBLS LSR 305 and my 16A, so i will use those to wire my Monitors and the Presonus. I guess for the connection between 16A and Presonus i will use a Standard STereo Jack...

Nice weekend to everyone
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I use this. It is surprisingly good and quite affordable. Not only can I switch in and out two pairs of monitors but the sub is on a separate button, too.

One nice feature is the -20dB button. There are times when you need everything quieter but you don't want to put playback on hold or stop what you are doing.
http://www.behringer.com/en/Products/mon800.aspx

Street is $70. I picked mine up for half that on eBay.
Last edited by mikehalloran on Sat May 09, 2015 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

That Presonus certainly looks like a nice piece of gear, too. The four headphone amps plus the 1/8" TRS and digital in will be quite useful for some.

One feature that I like about both it and the Behringer is that you can sum to mono with the push of a button. I had forgotten how useful that was till the first time I checked my mix that way. In the old days with analog mixers, this was easy but not so anymore.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro