828mkII suddenly acting funny

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
goosetunes
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

828mkII suddenly acting funny

Post by goosetunes »

Bare with me while I try to explain this....

I have an 828mkII configured so that Analog 1 & 2 is my default stereo output, which is where my speakers are connected, so I can hear/monitor audio in DP 8.07 projects. But suddenly, when I go online all audio content does not playback through my speakers... I can see the Main L & R meters on my 828mkII lighting up, but since my speakers are connected to the Analog 1&2 outputs, I can't hear anything. The same thing happens when I try to play music from my iTunes playlist, audio randomly defaults to the Main Outs of the 828mkII, even though I have Analog 1&2 selected as the default stereo output of the 828mkII in MOTU audio setup.

And oddly enough, it gets weirder in that audio from videos in iTunes defaults to Analog 1 & 2 and I'm able to hear it fine through my speakers... but again, not so with music tracks or online content.... they randomly default to the Main Outs of my 828mkII.

I changed nothing in my setup (at least knowingly) and suddenly this issue popped up. I've double checked Audio/MIDI setup, I've checked the sound option in system preferences on my MacPro to make sure the 828mkII is selected as the output source, I've checked MOTU audio setup where I have Analog 1&2 selected as my default stereo output... everything is configured how it's always been so I have no idea how to resolve this issue. I know the solution must be right under my nose, but PLEASE, somebody help me solve this frustrating mystery.... what am I missing?? :banghead:
DP 9.52, MachFive 3, MX4, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, PLAY, 828mk3 Hybrid FW-USB2, 8-Pre, MIDI Express XT, Mid-2012 MacPro 2 x 3.46 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon, 64 GB RAM, Graphics Radeon RX 580 8192 MB, OSX 10.14.6.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: 828mkII suddenly acting funny

Post by mikehalloran »

You can use Time Machine to restore Audio MIDI Setup.app and MOTU Audio Setup.app to the last time everything worked.

You can restore your 828mkII to its factory default settings. I don't recall the link but MOTU has all of them on a support page. I remember that the FW and power cable must be disconnected first. Ahhh here it is:
http://www.motu.com/techsupport/technotes/reset

You can reset the NV RAM (PRAM) to see if the issue is with your FW port.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro