Digital noise, no audio from MOTU 308

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
rbbrchckn
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Digital noise, no audio from MOTU 308

Post by rbbrchckn »

I have a MacPro 8 core running 10.6.8 with DP 7.2.4
MOTU PCI-e 424, SSL Duende PCI-e, SSL Duende Classic Firewire and MOTU MTP AV USB
hooked to the 424, I have a BLA 2408 mk3, BLA HD 192 and a MOTU 308
External clock source is a Lucid GenX192

Recently, the 308 has only outputted digital clicks/noise. I can see audio in, but regardless of port all I get out is digital clicks & pops.

Clocking is set correctly, I have even tried the 308 solo into my old G4- using only the 308 and internal clock.

I have replaced the internal battery, but not sure if there is a PRAM zap or similar firmware flashiness I need to worry about, any ideas????

visual inspection shows no obvious burn-outs or damage.
mikehalloran

Re: Digital noise, no audio from MOTU 308

Post by mikehalloran »

Although not in the list, any PCI interfaces that can be reset are done through a voltage reset as follows:

To perform a voltage reset, power the unit down and disconnect all cables. On the right side (the depth) of your unit, there is a red voltage selector. Toggle this switch back and forth several times, and be sure to reset it to the correct voltage (115V for domestic power supplies). Power the unit back on and test.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
rbbrchckn

Re: Digital noise, no audio from MOTU 308

Post by rbbrchckn »

Thanks for the advice about the voltage selector- I should've realized that would work on the 308 as well, but seeing it not on list I assumed it wasn't applicable to the 308.

Unfortunately, that didn't fix the problem either. Using the SPDIF connectors I only get random clicks trying to input from my DAT or my Stanton STR8-80 record player. SPDIF works fine on my 2408 mk3. SPDIF on the 308 doesn't work on 2 separate PCI 424 systems, but TOSLink does work. I haven't tried AES/EBU as it would require a bit of rack/patch dissection and since TOSLink DOES work, I think it's pretty solid that somehow I lost SPDIF.

So any ideas? Is SPDIF just dead, or is there any possible fix?