2408mk3 with DTP and DA-88's

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
octenmedia
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

2408mk3 with DTP and DA-88's

Post by octenmedia »

Hi Everyone,
I'm looking for some help with connections. I just recently purchased some old equipment off of a studio and I want to make sure I have everything hooked up correctly to do tape backups since it is not working for me.

The gear I am working with are (2) Tascam DA-88's both with SY-88 cards, a MOTU Digital Timepiece, and a MOTU 2408 mk3 using the Audiowire (firewire)into a PCIe-424 in a Early 2008 Mac Pro 3,1.

Here's how I think things should be connected from looking through manuals, the PCI-424 p.40 being the most helpful so far (http://cdn-data.motu.com/manuals/pci-au ... df#page=40):

DA-88 (Machine 1)
SYNC OUT to DA-88 (Machine 2) REMOTE IN/SYNC IN port
TDIF-I OUT to MOTU 2408mk3 TDIF A
TIME CODE OUT on SY-88 to MOTU DTP SMPTE IN
WORD SYNC OUT to MOTU DTP WORD 1x IN

DA-88 (Machine 2)
TDIF-I OUT to MOTU 2408 TDIF B

MOTU DTP
WORD 1x OUT to MOTO 2408mk3 WORD IN

MOTU 2408mk3
AUDIOWIRE (firewire) OUT to PCIe-424

Here is an image of the backs of all the devices (right click and Save As, if you can't see it all):

Please let me know what is wrong or what is missing with this setup.
apanacci

Re: 2408mk3 with DTP and DA-88's

Post by apanacci »

I had the kinda same setup a few years ago. I had 2 DA38,s. I think I had to terminate the slave machine, meaning if I remember a dummy plug went into its sync out. Did the 88,s come with a manual? Best to download one and see how Tascam syncs up the machines. Wow, a blast from the digital past !
2009 8 Core 5.1, 2012 6 Core MacPro,s , (32 gigs Ram) Mojave 14.6, Radeon 570, MacBookPros 2011, 2017 , 828MKIII Hybrid, 828X, MicroBook II, 8Pre, Nuendo 8ch A/D converter, PreSonus DigiMax LT ,DP11 , PT 2022.12, Cubase Elements 10.5, Peak 7, Logic 9 ,WaveLab 11, Reason 10, DSP-Quattro 5 ,many plugins , mics and synths. http://www.panaccimusic.com
octenmedia

Re: 2408mk3 with DTP and DA-88's

Post by octenmedia »

Thanks so much for the help! I'm sure this is a blast from the past. New and uncharted territory for me but I'm happy to take this quest. To answer you, I'm not sure if I need a terminator plug or not. None of the setups I'm trying to do say it is required. I see it being called for in others.

I am able to do 8 channels analog into the 2408mk3 and capture that with no issue but I can not get the TDIF at 16 channels to work. I'm assuming it is somewhere in my clock setup. I did get two Hosa DB25 to DB25 cables and using those into the 2408mk3.

I contacted MOTU and they got back to me quickly saying I should do the ADAT sync method. Where I don't need any of the Word Clock or SMPTE. I would need another PW-88S sync cable to go into the DTP and then do the ADAT sync port from the DTP to the PCI-424. That does seem like the simplest way to do it right, but I don't have a key cable.

Does anybody have an extra PW-88S they could sell me? :headbang:

I was thinking of getting a DB-15 male to male cable here: http://www.cablesondemand.com/Library/I ... gQod5mkAdA, and knocking the pins that are not needed out. Would that work?