Where to get a dead 1296 interface fixed?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
MartinBaird
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Where to get a dead 1296 interface fixed?

Post by MartinBaird »

My 1296 went black the other day after making a second or two of electrical noise (from the box, not through the audio outs). MOTU can't fix it and doesn't stock any refurbished units.

Can anyone recommend a place I can send it to get it fixed?

Thanks for your help.

Martin
Martin Baird
martin@vmw.us
DP 10, MachFive, Electric Keys, 828es, MTP A/V USB
Mac Pro 2 x 3.33 GHz Six-Core, Mac OS X 10.14.6
rickorick

Re: Where to get a dead 1296 interface fixed?

Post by rickorick »

They have some on Ebay. Or look for a 24 i/o. I have a PCI system and I just pick up used stuff
as it shows up at the used music store. I got an extra 24i/o 3 828s and an Ultralite mk3 for insurance in case my main stuff goes south.
Used 2012 Mac Pro 3.33 6 Core 16g ram 10.8.5 DP 7.24
MartinBaird

Post by MartinBaird »

Thanks rickorick. Yes, I looked on ebay yesterday and saw a few but I figure it will cost much less than the $500 or more I was seeing to get it fixed. I have a 2408mkII that I have pressed into service while the 1296 is down. Hopefully someone can chime in with a good repair center to try.
Martin Baird
martin@vmw.us
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Open up the unit. Chances are good that, if you heard noise before it shut down, you may see discoloration around the component that failed. If you can see it, a good repair person can match numbers and try to find replacement parts. The FW sockets go down and that is supposed to be an easy component to match. If it is a chip that is burned with firmware, however, that's proprietary to MOTU and you will be out of luck.

MOTU doesn't publish schematics nor component lists. Any service center would have to reverse engineer the units in order to have a diagnostic chart and have repair procedures.

Black Lion Audio does modifications on some MOTU interfaces. Do they do repairs? I have no idea but it doesn't hurt to ask.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MartinBaird

Post by MartinBaird »

Mike,

Thanks very much for the instruction on looking inside for damaged components. I'll do that tomorrow and hopefully see something obvious.
I emailed Black Lion Audio a few days ago but haven't heard back yet.
Thanks Again,
Martin
Martin Baird
martin@vmw.us
rbbrchckn

Post by rbbrchckn »

I have a similar problem with my MOTU 308, and although probably won't help this situation (didn't help mine either) it might be a good basic start point for generic fixes. These units have an internal battery, standard quarter size watch battery type that's easily replaced.

Goes along the lines of "are you sure it's plugged in?"

The electronic pop sound is almost certainly not a battery issue, but you may ALSO have a dead battery- as well as other problems.