Routing and AES/EBU Question

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
yamguitar
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Routing and AES/EBU Question

Post by yamguitar »

Okay, so I have a bit of an odd question.

I mostly an in-the-box kind of guy, and that’s the sort of studio I run. But I’ve been thinking about ways to use the various I/O on my venerable MOTU Traveler. I’ve got some outputs wired up to headphone amps, a standalone tuner, etc.

Now, I frequently run sound via ReWire out of one of my DAWs and into another… DAW A is best to record and mix in, and DAW B has softsynths I like, so I slave DAW B to DAW A with ReWire. Of course, that’s just a one-way street. But wait, I thought, couldn’t I run a physical output pair out of the Traveler carrying a signal from DAW A to one of the Traveler’s input pairs linked to DAW B, then use the cool effects in DAW B for additional processing, which is carried once again to DAW A (via ReWire) for recording? (I did something similar with DAW A before when I had an ornery freeware plugin that would play back but somehow not render by bouncing.) Of course, I’d have to be careful when routing not to set up a feedback loop, but seems like it could work.

So I look at the back of my Traveler and realize I’m out of analog outputs… or rather, I have one output, but I wanted to do stereo. Then I started thinking about the I/O I’ve never used: the SPDIF and AES/EBU jacks. AES is a digital stereo pair, right? So — my question is: am I setting myself up for a massive, Traveler-frying mistake if I route something coming from DAW A out via the AES output and back into DAW B via the AES input? I’m not familiar enough with AES to know the ramifications.
Any thoughts?

…and furthermore, if this is a terrible idea, what COULD I use those AES jacks for? What sorts of things produce a proper signal for them to read?
4 GHz Intel Core i7 iMac Retina 5K, 32GB RAM, OS 12.7.4 • MOTU M6 • DP 11.31, Reason 12.7.4, Dorico Elements 5.1