connecting external compressor to ultralite mk3?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
texasnoobe
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

connecting external compressor to ultralite mk3?

Post by texasnoobe »

Hello everone im new here and i was wondering if you all can help me out. im having trouble routing my external compressor to my mk3. Not sure if i have to do extra routing on cue mix . Ive tried everything and can't seem to get it working .What i want to do is compress my vocals before they go into my daw ..i know motu ultralite mk3 has a built in compressor but im really used to using analog compressor i just can't set this thing up.. can anyone please help/
rockitcity
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: connecting external compressor to ultralite mk3?

Post by rockitcity »

Just looked at the Ultralite on MOTU's site. Seems you have 2 mic inputs and no inserts (send-return) on them. So, if you want to use an external compressor before recording, you have two chioces. First, use an external mic pre and run the output of that into your compressor and then output that into a line input of the ultralite. This is the easiest, but then you have to use an external mic pre. Second, you can run your mic from the ultralite pre into Cue Mix, assign a mix bus to an output that goes to your external compressor. Then bring the output of the compressor back into another input and use another cue mix bus to send to your monitor. This is just going to compress your monitor mix, and may not be much use for recording. I suppose you could select the compressor return input in your DAW software, but you will probably have some significant delay.

Unless you have some high-end external compressor, you'd be best to just use the software compressor in Cue Mix. It's not bad.

Not in front of it right now, but I think those are your options.
Mac Mini Quad i7 2.6 Ghz, 16 G RAM, 2 SSD's. Motu 896 HD Hybrid, 8pre, Fastlane USB, Presonus Faderport, vintage guitars!