Yosemite OS10.10.2

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
Chris T
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Yosemite OS10.10.2

Post by Chris T »

For those on Yosemite already (and anyone else who has an educated opinion about this), is there a general rule of thumb as to whether or not to do the OS micro-updates (e.g. 10.10.1 to 10.10.2). My software updater is telling me to do it...

I use DP8 with lots of VIs and plugs (VEPro5, Waves, Altiverb, UAD, Kontakt, Spectrasonics etc). Rather than going through the recommendations of each individual software company (which indeed may or may not be updated as the OS updates occur), should one do the micro-updates as soon as they appear, or just wait until absolutely necessary?.. I'm mid-project right now, so a wrong move could spell doom...

thanks
Main SYS: 12-Core New Mac Pro (Dec 2013), 64GB RAM, OS10.10, Apollo Quad Interface, 3xSSD work/sound drives in TB Enclosure, UAD Plugs, DP, VE PRO, All NI, All Spectrasonics, many libraries, VIs etc.
2nd SYS: Intel 8-Core Mac Pro (2007), 28GB RAM, OS10.7, MOTU PCI 424, 2408 interfaces (4), DP8.07, VE PRO, All NI, All Spectrasonics, many libraries, VIs etc.
2 Mac Minis (2011): Dual Quad, 16GB RAM running VE Pro, various libraries in Kontakt, G-Player, UVI.
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Yosemite OS10.10.2

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Mid project? WAIT! If it ain't broken and the update isn't going to fix something that is, don't fix it.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

The safest thing to do is wait until your current project is done.

That said, I'm not having problems, but what's usually best is to make a disk image of your boot disk with something like Carbon Copy Cloner just prior to installing the update and if it's no bueno, restore your hard drive.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
ggm1960

Post by ggm1960 »

I recently bought a refurbished MBP circa late 2010 MC373LL/A 15" i7. It's a pretty good machine whose sole purpose is to perform at live gigs (I want to leave my last gen 17" with lingering personal info and expresscard 34 for my UAD plugs in the studio).

Although the sale ad suggested it came with 10.6 It actually had 10.10.2 already installed upon arrival. I've spent a great deal of time this week getting things installed and setup and I feel reasonably confident that I'll be able to use it at tonight's gig. The MBP I had been using was still at 10.9.x and although most of what I do is MIDI control of outboard synths/modules the change over was nearly seamless. The external hardware is all the same; 828mk3, MTP AV usb, 3 keyboards and a rack FantomXR. The only "issue" I had was "re-awakening" an output path for the Polysynth which I use for a click track.

I guess my point is that I see no real difference between 10.9.x and 10.10.2 as far as DP8 goes for what I'm doing and albeit I'm not using a lot of third party plugs/synths I have several installed and DP8 had no problem seeing and loading them up to be available for use.