Using the 828mk3 with Reason & Live

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
ggm1960
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Using the 828mk3 with Reason & Live

Post by ggm1960 »

I've only had the 828mk3 for a few months and it works great with DP8, been using a live gig setup that includes a MBP, 828mk3 and a MTP AV usb and it's a good solid setup.

Recently, however, I bought a refurb MBP, a bit scratched up with a couple dings but it's a 2010 model with a 500G HD, 8G Ramm and a 2.6Ghz i7 so it's a pretty good machine. I picked this one up for live gigs because I don't want to risk losing or damaging the one I have been using.

Anyway... in the course of trying to get this new one up and going I tried running Ableton Live and could not get it to work with the 828mk3. I wanted to route the output to Analog 1/2 but no matter what I tried I could not get sound from it. I tried running Reason and the results were the same. So I went back to my other MBP and discovered I was having the same results. I'm certain that I've ran Ableton and Reason on this original MBP in the past but with different interfaces (Presonus StudioLive 1642, Apogee Duet and/or perhaps even a Line 6 KB37) and it certainly worked.

So the common denominator to the no sound problem is the 828mk3. I know the unit works because I've been using it with DP8 ever since I got it so I can't help but think I'm not getting something setup right to work with these other programs but for the life of me I can't imagine what it is!?

So if you're using an 828mk3 with Reason and/or Ableton live could you please tell me how you've got it set up. I'd be mucho grateful!

Greg
bayswater

Re: Using the 828mk3 with Reason & Live

Post by bayswater »

Greg, I recall running Live and Reason some years ago with the 828 without anything odd occurring. But I have noticed more recently, Logic, DSP-Q, Cubase, PT, standalone instances of several VIs, etc. all had their own way of "reading" the I/O channels on the 828. For example, to get Analog 1-2 in DSP-Q I had to use what it sees as channels 3 and 4. In Logic, Main outs are Analog 9-10. So maybe the sound is at the 828 outs, but not the pair you chose in Live. If you enter channel labels in the MOTU Audio setup, some apps will pick these up and show them in their windows showing I/O, making things a little clearer.

I did find that a lot of the above confusion disappeared either because of an upgrade to Yosemite, or an update to the MOTU driver.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
ggm1960

Re: Using the 828mk3 with Reason & Live

Post by ggm1960 »

Thanks for the info bayswater. I'll have to wait before I mess around with this again. I've spent most of the week getting this "new" computer ready for tonight's gig with DP8 as the critical component.

Greg