Clockworks/MIDI routing question

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
wrongeye7
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Clockworks/MIDI routing question

Post by wrongeye7 »

Hello MOTUnation,

I just found this forum site, so this is my first post. I have a question about Clockworks software. Currently, I have a MOTU MIDI Express XT connected to a number of synthesizers, and an M-Audio Axiom keyboard controller to control them. I've set everything up, and it all works fine. I've drawn lines to connect the ports in Clockworks' routing pane, etc.

If I have everything connected this way, when I press a key, I hear every connected synthesizer play at once, which makes sense. If I don't want to hear an instrument, I mute it on the audio mixer, but the synths are all still receiving the note on/off MIDI signal unless I open up Clockworks and delete the routing from the keyboard to individual instruments.

What I'd LIKE to figure out a way to do, if possible, is send a command from the eight assignable buttons on the top of the Axiom to toggle on or off each instrument's port on the Express XT, or at least its reception of the keyboard's note data, so that I can basically just press those buttons to choose the instrument(s) I want to play with the keyboard.

Does anyone know if it's possible to create a setup like that? If there's some sort of MIDI cc setting for note on/off for each port, I imagine I could possibly map that to the keyboard buttons using the keyboard's Enigma editing software. Or if there's another way to do this, that would be great too.

(I'm using OS X 10.6.8, on an 8-core 2008 Mac Pro, if it matters.)

Thanks!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: Clockworks/MIDI routing question

Post by James Steele »

I may not understand correctly but can you just set each synth to receive on a different channel and then use presets/zones in the Axiom to only play desired synths?
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
wrongeye7

Re: Clockworks/MIDI routing question

Post by wrongeye7 »

Hmmm, that's not what I had in mind, but it's a good idea. I need to spend some more time getting to know the Axiom setup software, and maybe there's a way to set it up like that. Thanks for the suggestion!