Connecting two microphones via XLR

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
anavagomez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Connecting two microphones via XLR

Post by anavagomez »

Hello,

I just got an ultralite mk3 and started using it last night.
I tried to use the two XLR input with two microphones, but I ran into a problem:

I was not able to hear the two microphones simultaneously through my output monitors. I was able to see the two microphones were registering input looking at the small ultralite green screen. I made sure the 'I' was turned orange for both tracks but I could only hear one or the other, not the two.

Then I unplugged one of the microphones (XLR) and plugged in a guitar (1/4 plug) in the same input, leaving the other XLR mic connected, and I was able to hear the guitar and the microphone.

I think this is a configuration problem, but I am unsure where to begin. This is my first time using ultralite and I am not yet very familiar with it.

Please any insight, advice on how to approach this towards a solution would be great.

I hope someone can share some light.

Best,

anavagomez.
Mac Notebook Pro/ OS Yosemite
Logic Pro X
UltraLite 10x14 FireWire Interface with MIDI
daniel.sneed

Re: Connecting two microphones via XLR

Post by daniel.sneed »

You're welcome, but if you expect real help on this board, I think you should first of all list your setup.
Sequencer, computer, OS, interface, and the like.
You did not even mention your audio interface.

In the board user control panel, you may list your setup as a signature.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
anavagomez

Post by anavagomez »

Thank you for the tip, Daniel. I have updated my signature listing my set up.

Here is the list:

Logic Pro X
AKG-P220
SM-57
Logic Pro X
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

You aren't mentioning which mic is giving you the problem. One (the AKG) requires phantom power while the other doesn't.

Is this the issue? No idea.

The inputs and outputs need to line up. Normally, you output to a stereo track and pan R/L -- but you don't have to.

What does MOTU Audio Setup.all (Applications Folder) show? What does Audio MIDI Setup.app (Utilities Folder) show?

Because of the way that Logic assigns ins/outs, it isn't quite the same as Audio Express or Digital Performer. You can download Audio Express 4 from MOTU for free.

You may have to give MOTU Support a call.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
anavagomez

Post by anavagomez »

Hi Mike,

Both microphones work. I cannot use both at the same time, that is I can not get them to record in their own track simultaneously. I wanted to record an acoustic guitar and use both microphones.

I can only hear one at a time. I will download the application you recommended and see if that gets me somewhere forward.

I also bought an XLR to 1/4 plug balanced adapter since the input jack works when using microphone and instrument.
Logic Pro X