MTP AV and solid red light

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
sampolfonz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

MTP AV and solid red light

Post by sampolfonz »

Greetings.

I have a MIDI Timepiece AV which I have used for years without issue. I have a Kawai controller connected which feeds to the input. Normal behavior is when I have the Kawai connected the port light (red) input that it is connected to flashes red. The green output lights do not flash unless I send something to them. All is well.

Here is my problem now:

I have a Roland TD-12 V Drum module connected to a MIDI input (ch 7) of the MTP AV and instead of the red light flashing (normal) the red light stays solid and all green output channels flash a lighter green. It appears to function okay, as all the MIDI data out of the Roland unit are received by the VST that I am using it to trigger so, other than the light issue, it appears to be working.

Can anyone help with this?

Thanks,

Sam
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MTP AV and solid red light

Post by James Steele »

Sounds like maybe your TD-12 is sending out MIDI data (perhaps active sensing?) which is then being echoed to all your outputs. If you can't disable this on the Roland, try launching the MOTU Clockworks app and mute Active Sensing on that input cable.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
sampolfonz

Post by sampolfonz »

James,

Thank you for your care to reply to my post.

I have cked the TD12. I looked for what it might be transmitting and I couldn't see anything constant or out of the ordinary. I also tried muting the active sensing as you suggest. It didn't change anything.

I'm at a loss.

Thanks,

Sam
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Sorry. I didn't read carefully. Is it your Kawai controller? Is it sending something? Something must be coming into the input if it's red?

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
sampolfonz

Post by sampolfonz »

I think the Kawai is just fine. It doesn't start the solid red light and all the flashing until the Roland TD12 is turned on.

Thanks, I appreciate your help.

S
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Must be something coming from the Roland.