Equipment Needed Mixing To Quad Or Surround

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
lindymack
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Equipment Needed Mixing To Quad Or Surround

Post by lindymack »

I'm somewhat of a newbie to doing multichannel mixes, and while I understand how DP handles quad and surround bundles, I need to know what equipment I need to actually send the audio to my sound system. Can I use two 8pre modules to send the audio, or do I need something more task-specific?

Thanks,

Lindy
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Equipment Needed Mixing To Quad Or Surround

Post by mikehalloran »

If you already have two 8pres, you could assign your surround mix to the ADAT OUT on one of them.

There are a number of stand-alone ADAT-8 to analog converters including old MOTU 2408, 828mkII plus dedicated devices from Behringer and others.

If you don't have an 8pre or two, perhaps another interface would be better suited.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro