828Mk2 as standalone ADC only

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
JES
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

828Mk2 as standalone ADC only

Post by JES »

Hi Folks,

I'm writing with a few questions. I'd like to use my MOTU 828mk2 as an analog-to-lightpipe convertor, with no connection to the computer. If possible, I'd like to have this be the "default" setup when I power it on. The lightpipe out would then go to the ADAT in of my RME Babyface.

Just to clarify: I want to route analog inputs 1-8 to ADAT outputs 1-8.

Here are my questions:

1. Can I do this from the front panel only? It's not totally clear from the manual how to do this without the use of CueMixFX and playing with the option on the panel I can't seem to get it to behave. (I have found CueMixFX totally unstable on my system and so I need to know if it's possible to do this just from the hardware.*)

2. How does clocking work? The Babyface only has ADAT in and out, and no separate word clock output or input. What should I clock to what and how?

Thanks for any advice you can offer. I realize this isn't exactly "MOTU Hardware and OSX" but there's no plain vanilla "MOTU hardware" forum.

Thank you for any advice you can offer!

--JES

* please don't try to get me to troubleshoot CueMixFX. I've been around the block with it a few times and have found inner peace through giving up on it. The 828mk2 served many good years as my main interface and its new diminished role would be an honourable retirement.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: 828Mk2 as standalone ADC only

Post by mikehalloran »

You can do it through CueMix or the front controls:
http://www.motu.com/techsupport/technot ... 7968752604

One thing I find helpful is to download the .pdf version of the manual and search it. Try 'standalone' first; 'clock' etc. This will take you to the pages quickly and you will often find your answers fasted than leafing through the hard copy. You will find it under Other legacy hardware products here:

http://www.motu.com/techsupport/manuals
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
JES

Post by JES »

I must have downloaded the quick start by mistake. Looks like I CAN do it from the front panel, and I'm going to give it a try. Thank you!
JES

Post by JES »

How's this for a necro thread? I never followed through, but today I pulled it out and gave it a shot. Totalmix for the Mk2 is, as I understand it, dead, so I am trying to do everything from the front panel.

I followed the directions here: https://motu.com/techsupport/technotes/ ... 7968752604 but used the front panel knobs.

It was very slow on the front panel but once I discovered I'd forgotten to hard pan channels to bus outputs, it actually worked!

Alas, it's not clear from the instructions how to set it up to be a standalone digital to analog convertor from the front panel. If I open up ADAT 3 to mix bus 2, won't that create a feedback loop? How do I set it up for that? Or do I have to choose one or the other? (Not the end of the world for 15-year-old-tech).

This is why I didn't get around to this for 6 years!

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer. I'm just thrilled to have gotten this far. It's got updates from Black Lion so even though the convertors aren't the latest and greatest, the analog signal path is extra good and sounds right up there with the RME Fireface I bought this year.
mothra

Post by mothra »

If you follow the directions there are no loops. Make sure you mute EVERYTHING but the analog pair you're routing and you're good to go.

CueMix isn't dead. It even got a fancy update for the new Ultralite MK5. I still use the 'old' Cuemix on the latest MacOS just fine with my 828x.
M2 Pro Mini, macOS 14, MOTU 828x/Ferrofish Pulse 16, Cubase Pro/MPC
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Totalmix for the Mk2 is, as I understand it, dead,
CueMix
CueMix isn't dead. It even got a fancy update for the new Ultralite MK5. I still use the 'old' Cuemix on the latest MacOS just fine with my 828x.
CueMix is built into the MOTU hardware. The CueMix apps cannot add any functionality that the hardware doesn't support.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
JES

Post by JES »

Hi all,

Thanks and sorry for mixing up the branding ..cuemix, totalmix, vitamix. A MOTU rep had told me the mk2 was no longer supported in cuemix.

I am still confused, though. I have only 4 busses. If I am routing them all from panned pairs of analog ins to pairs of ADAT outs, does this mean I can’t also do ADAT in to analog out on the same preset at the same time? I do understand that I could create another preset, route the busses to analog outs, and then use panned pairs of ADAT ins to analog outs. I will just do that if there isn’t a better option. TIA!
mothra

Post by mothra »

Yeah the 828mk2 only has 4 busses so its either an A/D converter or a D/A converter. The 828x has 8 busses, and I think the mk3 might, but the mk2 can only do one job at a time.
M2 Pro Mini, macOS 14, MOTU 828x/Ferrofish Pulse 16, Cubase Pro/MPC
JES

Post by JES »

Thanks. Now I know! I'll make another preset.