1248 and Monitoring Playback

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
sebner
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

1248 and Monitoring Playback

Post by sebner »

I have set up a routing matrix where all inputs are sent to the internal mixer and to the computer for recording. No problem there.

I have set up 6 stereo aux sends to act as monitor mixes to record a live band. I used to do this with the MKII with no issues, although fewer mixes. I have each of these mixes patched to an external 4 channel headphone amp and internally patched to the 2 headphone outs, total 6 mixes. To the external headphone amp I send the monitor out (mirror of the main mix) so I can play back via the headphones, or for when I want to overdub tracks. I am using DP7.24.

Problems-
1. Setting the Main LR to the headphones (via Monitor out) causes latency delay and mixes in the from computer mix Main LR - I have to manually turn down this direct in to the headphones. I have to reroute the outputs every time I want to play back using the matrix. Setting it the opposite causes the channel I am trying to record to loop back out from the computer and latency delay. I want to use the internal mixer and mix in the recorded tracks. I use to do this with no issues with the 828 MKII. I played back from DP the recorded trackers, sent them to the headphone amp, as well as the monitor mix and used direct hardware play through. The issue boils down to being able to hear the recorded tracks and not send the track being recorded from the DAW. I can change the routing in the matrix each time, but it is like the bad old days when you had to rematch the entire board from tracking to mix down. Any thoughts?
monkey man
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: 1248 and Monitoring Playback

Post by monkey man »

I really want to say something here, but can't bring myself to.

Perhaps EMRR could chime in; he's had to become expert at performing circus tricks whilst at the helm of these new units.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
sefanzed

Post by sefanzed »

The issue with 1248, and all of the new AVB interfaces is that they DO NOT support direct hardware patch thru. This is a near deal breaker for me. I only discovered this, like you, after I purchased.

The fix has to be coded into Digital Performer to support it. Until that happens you'll have to jump thu hoops to get a live playback!

I bought an 828x just to resume a normal workflow after I called MOTU tech support and they 'fessed up. A massive oversight on their part! Otherwise, the unit sounds great. I'm holding off selling the damn thing on eBay in the hopes that MOTU adds the feature to DP, hopefully sooner than later!
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

Yeah, I've said it everywhere, since they were released. The manual also says it, which can be downloaded. However, I agree fully: who would even imagine such feature would be deleted?
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I don't own one of these new units, but am wondering...

Is Input Monitoring in DP enabled?

If so, does turning Input Monitoring "off" in DP allow you to work properly?
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

I have to toggle input monitoring on and off all the time now as I switch tasks. It allows you to work properly if you consider running two mixes in parallel while multi-tracking to be called 'working properly'. There's no such thing as a live multi-track punch-in with matching sound in the performers ears anymore.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

sefanzed wrote:... I'm holding off selling the damn thing on eBay in the hopes that MOTU adds the feature to DP, hopefully sooner than later!
Mr. Miller all but admitted MOTU was working on updating DHC in DP for the new units when he professed that, although possible, implementation of the feature would be a whole lot trickier to programme due to the inherent complexity of the AVB system's routing software etc.

I'm betting we'll see it in DP9. Nothing further has been said AFAIK.

Kinda gettin' nervous as to quite how this'll all work out as I've made 2 payments now towards the upgrade...

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here