828mk3 FireWire flashing screen of death fix

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
Zixxer14
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

828mk3 FireWire flashing screen of death fix

Post by Zixxer14 »

Hey all, had a unit that was experiencing the dreaded flashing lcd of death that some of these units experience. Until I upgrade to one of the newer thunderbolt units, I just wanted to get this one back up and hobbling along.

The + and - 8v rails both draw ~ 900mA on startup. The power supply is rated for 500mA each. So what I did for a work around was to cut out the current limit resistor (off pin 6 I believe, check the datasheet to be sure)on the power switch IC on the power supply board. This raises the limit from 2.1A to 3A. I also added a couple large caps to those rails and the 5.5V rail.

I am now able to consistently power up the unit without fail (since this afternoon). If it does happen to flash, powering down and waiting a bit for those rails to decay low enough should allow for a good startup. Ideally I think that the power supply might get replaced, possibly by a beefier external supply.

Hopefully this helps those out there who might have this issue. I looked everywhere and couldn't find anything remotely helpful. Again, this has not been tested over time yet, just a positive step to fix this under powered device.
chrismilne
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: 828mk3 FireWire flashing screen of death fix

Post by chrismilne »

Hmm..is this some sort of known issue with this generation of MOTU units? My 896MK3 hybrid is doing something similar. So if i pay to have it fixed it's likely to come back?