Stuck Notes with Yosemite and MOTU MIDI Driver

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
Gianluca13_2
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Stuck Notes with Yosemite and MOTU MIDI Driver

Post by Gianluca13_2 »

Sorry to have to inform you that the latest drivers do not completely solve the problem. I have a MacBook Pro with Retina 15 Yosemite 10.10.2, Minastage 3.1.1, and a Micro Express interface. Routing: external masterkeyborad -> Mainstage -> external synth , produces still stuck notes. Less than before, once or twice for the evening, but still stuck notes.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Gianluca13_2 wrote:Sorry to have to inform you that the latest drivers do not completely solve the problem. I have a MacBook Pro with Retina 15 Yosemite 10.10.2, Minastage 3.1.1, and a Micro Express interface. Routing: external masterkeyborad -> Mainstage -> external synth , produces still stuck notes. Less than before, once or twice for the evening, but still stuck notes.
Yep... thousands and thousands of users and a myriad of different configurations, it was bound to happen. This is in live use, not in playback from a DAW?
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Gianluca13_2

Post by Gianluca13_2 »

Yes. It happens when I play a master keyboard connected via the Micro Express to Macbook. On the Macbook is running Mainstage 3.1.1 and one of his strip sends the MIDI channel to a Minimoog Voyager outside , through the same Micro Express. Last night I tried to interpose between the Macbook and the Micro Express a simple USB 2 hub and apparently all worked well. But I want to stress a little more the system to be sure.
Gianluca13_2

Post by Gianluca13_2 »

There are two aspects that I would like to draw attention to:

1) my MacBook Pro is new, has been bought a few months ago only to make music, and there are only installed Mainstage and the drivers of the audio interface Ultralite MK3, connected through Thundebolt / Firewire and drivers of Micro Expres. So it is in a configuration extremely clean.

2) since the first attempts to install the Micro Express I encountered difficulties especially with the USB port located on the left side . With the right port seemed to go better. Connecting in the right port the Micro Express was recognized immediately. Connecting it instead on the left port was recognized only if the Mac was lit with the Micro Express already connected. Disconnecting and reconnecting, it often happened that was not seen again. This has always made me think of a few critical especially with the left port . To be sure there were no hardware problems with the left port I tried to connect a variety of devices, such as an external hard disc, a USB key, and also a small USB MIDI interface. And it all worked perfectly. So the problem is really a critical issue between the Micro Express and USB 3 ports of the MacBook Pro .

One more point, the Micro Express firmvare and drivers are updated to the latest version released by MOTU and cables , MIDI and USB , are new , bought specifically for this set-up .
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Sounds like you should report this to MOTU via a tech note to make sure they're aware.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Gianluca13_2

Post by Gianluca13_2 »

As soon as I stressed out a little bit more the system with the USB 2 hub between Mac and Micro Express and I am sure this solves the problem will send all of this in the form of a report to the technical service of MOTU. Although in the past for problems related to a 828 MK 3 I have not had any satisfaction with them. I have never once responded.