Stuck Notes with Yosemite and MOTU MIDI Driver

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Stuck Notes with Yosemite and MOTU MIDI Driver

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I don't get 'em and haven't for a long time.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
jotff

Post by jotff »

just spent the last 2 hours giving the new beta MIDI driver a workout with two separate setups; one with a macpro and a mtpav usb, and the other a macbookpro with a micro lite. i used both the built-in USB3 ports on the computers, and a powered 10port USB2 hub. sending on multiple cables, multiple channels of MIDI notes, continuous data, and sysex messages. not one hung note from either setup. so far, so good.
The Arsenal: MacPro 6core 3.5 (2013), MacBook Pro 2.8 (2014), DP 8.07, MTPAVUSB, 828mkII, Ultalite mk3, Micro lite, various hardware and virtual instruments.
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

James Steele wrote:I don't know. Will they?
It appears not.....
In my fantasy mind I envision developers actually finding a cause and a "cure", there must be many under Hood causes to this all too common issue. It seems like a game of wack a mole
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
curtnelson73

Post by curtnelson73 »

I have a 2014 MBP Retina running Logic with with an MTP AV. I've been having the stuck notes problem for the last several days. In my case, using a USB 2 hub between the computer and the MTP AV didn't work. I installed this beta driver and it solved the problem! :-)

MTP AV strait into the USB3 port, works great!

Thanks for sharing this!
2008 2 x 2.8GHz Quad core Xeon 16GB 800MHz DDR2 RAM, 2014 MacBook Pro Retina 3GHz Core I7 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM, MOTU MTP AV, SSL Delta Link MADI, Antelope Orion 32, Pro Tools HD Native, Logic Pro X, Yamaha DX5, Kurzweil K2VX, Emulator 4XT, Yamaha Motif Rack, Nord Lead 2, Kurzweil K250, Akai MPC2000, Arturia Keylab49, SSL Matrix, SSL X Rack, Real Rooms, Great Mics and lots of great outboard processing.

I'm a big fan of hardware. :-)
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

curtnelson73 wrote:I have a 2014 MBP Retina running Logic with with an MTP AV. I've been having the stuck notes problem for the last several days. In my case, using a USB 2 hub between the computer and the MTP AV didn't work. I installed this beta driver and it solved the problem! :-)

MTP AV strait into the USB3 port, works great!

Thanks for sharing this!
That's great man
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

toodamnhip wrote:
It appears not.....
In my fantasy mind I envision developers actually finding a cause and a "cure", there must be many under Hood causes to this all too common issue. It seems like a game of wack a mole
Oops. I guess they did according to the reviews of the beta driver. One less rhetorical question.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

James Steele wrote:
toodamnhip wrote:
It appears not.....
Oops. I guess they did according to the reviews of the beta driver. One less rhetorical question.
It's really nice to hear that they found the problem and solve it with a new driver that's great. But unfortunately, in the whack a mole universe of stuck notes, I am afraid the odds are this will happen again. This makes me wish I was a programmer so I could understand why the mole keeps reappearing LOL. For me LA scoring strings tends to stick a lot and I have watched their forms go crazy trying to find out why it sticks so much with Digital performer. Add VE pro to that and you really have some stuck notes at times.By the way, I got my CPU chip today so tonight I will be doing the big upgrade... fingers crossed. Hey James, did you have to buy geek bench or did you run your tests in 32-bit mode? The free version seems to only run 32-bit mode
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

The new driver was released today

http://www.motu.com/download
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
curtnelson73

Post by curtnelson73 »

mikehalloran wrote:The new driver was released today

http://www.motu.com/download
Fantastic! I'll install this evening before working on hardware synth lay ins and post results.

Thanks everyone!
2008 2 x 2.8GHz Quad core Xeon 16GB 800MHz DDR2 RAM, 2014 MacBook Pro Retina 3GHz Core I7 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM, MOTU MTP AV, SSL Delta Link MADI, Antelope Orion 32, Pro Tools HD Native, Logic Pro X, Yamaha DX5, Kurzweil K2VX, Emulator 4XT, Yamaha Motif Rack, Nord Lead 2, Kurzweil K250, Akai MPC2000, Arturia Keylab49, SSL Matrix, SSL X Rack, Real Rooms, Great Mics and lots of great outboard processing.

monkey man

Post by monkey man »

James Steele wrote:I guess they did according to the reviews of the beta driver. One less rhetorical question.
I'm tempted to say "yes, one less rectoral question", but I won't.

This really is great news. One less lil' thing to worry about. Let's hope it doesn't reappear down the road again as it's always seemed to have found a way to do...

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
curtnelson73

Post by curtnelson73 »

I've been printing hardware synth parts all evening with Logic synced to Pro Tools. New driver works great.

Thanks MOTU!
:-)

monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Fantastic. :D

This is lookin' better all the time.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

toodamnhip wrote:It's really nice to hear that they found the problem and solve it with a new driver that's great. But unfortunately, in the whack a mole universe of stuck notes, I am afraid the odds are this will happen again.
Well, I suppose anything COULD happen, but there's another thread going on about this and it appears fixed. Although, I admire your dogged determination to maintain your skepticism. :) Regardless, it's fixed for now, despite MOTU's predicted future screwup somewhere in the distant future. Try to just enjoy the moment. :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

James Steele wrote:
toodamnhip wrote:It's really nice to hear that they found the problem and solve it with a new driver that's great. But unfortunately, in the whack a mole universe of stuck notes, I am afraid the odds are this will happen again.
Well, I suppose anything COULD happen, but there's another thread going on about this and it appears fixed. Although, I admire your dogged determination to maintain your skepticism. :) Regardless, it's fixed for now, despite MOTU's predicted future screwup somewhere in the distant future. Try to just enjoy the moment. :)
Not sure MOTU’s predicted screw up is only for MOTU. Other DAWs also have stuck note problems. And, of course, we haven;t even discussed the ancient protocol for MIDI that developers still have to contend with. Imagine a piano VI that had 1000 velocity levels available in a new MIDI protocol?

Does anyone here know if there is any sort of movement to improve MIDI in such a manner?
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
curtnelson73

Post by curtnelson73 »

toodamnhip wrote:
James Steele wrote:
Not sure MOTU’s predicted screw up is only for MOTU. Other DAWs also have stuck note problems. And, of course, we haven;t even discussed the ancient protocol for MIDI that developers still have to contend with. Imagine a piano VI that had 1000 velocity levels available in a new MIDI protocol?

Does anyone here know if there is any sort of movement to improve MIDI in such a manner?
I've heard rumors of an upgrade to MIDI spec a few times over the years. At the risk of sounding like Mr. Old School and getting laughed at, I find the current MIDI spec to work great as long as you use plenty of interface ports and not too many "thru" connections. I've been using it since the 80's. Control surfaces even source lots of realtime continuous data through MIDI pipelines over USB, Firewire and Network connections. 127 steps of velocity have always worked great for me. But I can see why you would expect some kind of forward movement after over 30 years. :-)

Backward compatibility would be key. But I certainly wouldn't be against it.