Can the UltraLite be plugged into a USB hub?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
wdegillio
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Can the UltraLite be plugged into a USB hub?

Post by wdegillio »

I purchased a USB 3.0 hub recently, but promptly returned it, since my MOTU UltraLite was not "seen" by my Mac Mini when plugged into it, but my USB 3 hard drive worked fine when plugged into the same hub. (The UltraLite works fine when plugged directly into one of the Mac's USB ports.) I assumed the hub was defective, but then I began to wonder if some USB 3 hubs are not compatable with all USB 2 devices! Before I try another hub, I thought I would see if anyone has had any problems similar to this.
Thanks in advance!
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzYInT ... 53N-Rs3c-g
Instagram - billgdegillio

2012 Mac Mini 2.3 GHz i7 (6.2)* 16 gigs RAM* OS 10.15.7* DP 11.22* MOTU M4* Scuffham S-Gear* Sibelius 8*
Xfer Records Serum & Nerve* u-he Zebra2 & Hive* NI Komplete 13* Korg Legacy Collection*
M-Audio Oxygen Pro 61* Presonus Central Station* Dynaudio BM5a* Rode NTH-100 & Grado SR225 Headphones
mikehalloran

Re: Can the UltraLite be plugged into a USB hub?

Post by mikehalloran »

Some devices won't work through a usb hub and there's nothing you can do about it. I do not know if the Ultralite is one of them but I have a number of devices in that category (interestingly, I have a usb headset where the maker has a big sticker saying not to use it with a hub--and it works great).

There are usb 3 hubs with both usb 2 and usb 3 ports that are not compatible with each other but those ports should be clearly labelled. The wire going to the Mac is the only cable carrying both signals.

Some USB devices will hot connect only directly but not through a hub. They do work with a hub if powered on before you boot your Mac.

I didn't really answer your question, I know, but you should be able to test a few things to see if any of them work. Let us know what happens.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
wdegillio

Post by wdegillio »

Well, I tried a different 3.0 hub (a 4-port Belkin) and the my Mini "saw" the UltraLite immediately. That leads me to believe the first hub I tried was defective. (I noticed that the accompanying cables were not twist-tied or in bags, and the box was not sealed in any way- I'll bet I was at least the second customer to return that hub!) Thus, I have a partial answer to my question at least- my audio interface works with at least "my" 3.0 hub.

Speaking of USB 3.0, I learned something in the course of my research. I was not aware that in order to get the highest speed possible with a 3.0 device (like a thumb drive), you must be sure to use a 3.0 extension cable if you are not plugging it directly into your computer. I tried using a USB type A male to type A female that I had lying around, and did not get anywhere near the data transfer speed I expected.
I now know I need to get a cable with blue (not white) inserts in the connectors. Sorry if this is common knowledge- adjusting to my new Mac Mini (from my old 2.1 Mac Pro) has taken me back to school!
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzYInT ... 53N-Rs3c-g
Instagram - billgdegillio

2012 Mac Mini 2.3 GHz i7 (6.2)* 16 gigs RAM* OS 10.15.7* DP 11.22* MOTU M4* Scuffham S-Gear* Sibelius 8*
Xfer Records Serum & Nerve* u-he Zebra2 & Hive* NI Komplete 13* Korg Legacy Collection*
M-Audio Oxygen Pro 61* Presonus Central Station* Dynaudio BM5a* Rode NTH-100 & Grado SR225 Headphones
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

USB 2 and usb 3 are two different protocols. They use different wires inside the cable and connectors. For that reason, a USB 3 device must have a usb 2/3 cable to get the job done. An older cable cannot pass USB 3.

Not all USB 3 cables have blue inserts - that didn't become a standard till recently and many older ones don't. All the newer ones are supposed to now. It's a really good idea, I think.

It's possible to build a USB 3 only cable that does not pass USB 2. I've not heard of anyone doing it, however.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
_Cale_
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by _Cale_ »

I just bought the MOTU Track 16 and a brand new Ultrabook with only one USB 3.0 assuming that I could just plug it into the "backwards compatible" USB 3.0 Hub, but unfortunately thats not exactly how its working. The Track 16 (and I'm presuming any MOTU audio interfaces that use the universal installer) works great connected to the computer without hub, but only only works sometimes for a few minutes on the USB 3.0 hub. Its an el-cheapo 4-port ORICO H4013-U3-BK. I also have a 2.5" USB 3.0 ORICO hard-drive case that disconnects from the hub. I'm presuming the two are connected and I should just shell out the doe for a Unitek hub. I'm not sure though and I've already spent $1250 for a non-working system, so I'm weary to spend more money. I'm thinking that the cheap hubs are no good for audio interfaces. Have yall gotten yours to work on a hub?
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Don't use el cheapo stuff and expect good results. Powered hubs are a must in such instances. I use a FW to TB adapter or the T16. USB was not as reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS