Using 828x and micro express together

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
380 kV
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Using 828x and micro express together

Post by 380 kV »

Hi all! o/

Quick introduction: I am in the process of building a little home studio from scratch after doing nothing music-related for over twenty years.

I had a nice time getting back in sync with the technology of today and I bought myself a MOTU 828x. Good start, or so I like to think.

Now, for my two questions: I stumbled over a brand new MOTU micro express that a friend gave me. I do not think I need it now I have the 828x. However, I would like to know if it is possible to use the micro express to extend the number of MIDI in/out ports to the 828x (for instance to be able to add more ancient synths)? I would also like to know if the micro express can somehow be of any other use and make a great addition to the 828x; one that I fail to see right now. Additional or better time code options? In my ignorance I suspect that – apart from the possible extra MIDI ports – most of the functionality of the micro express is already present in the 828x. I would enjoy spending time to figure out and learn how to accomplish the connection, however, if a more knowledgeable person advises me beforehand not to, I will reconsider and save the time for other things.

So… leave boxed or add to the rack. Your advise is very much appreciated.
?STRING TOO LONG ERROR
READY
[]
mikehalloran

Re: Using 828x and micro express together

Post by mikehalloran »

Connect the Micro Express via USB. You'll have to get them all synced to the same clock -- many ways to do that. Read the manuals first. Download the correct drivers. Ask questions if something isn't making sense.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
380 kV

Re: Using 828x and micro express together

Post by 380 kV »

Thanks Mike. I‘ll give the micro express a try. I can probably make good use of the extra MIDI I/O connectors in the future. (Bring in the synths!)
?STRING TOO LONG ERROR
READY
[]