828 MKII FW Repair?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
dhoeber
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

828 MKII FW Repair?

Post by dhoeber »

Hi I have an 828 mkII FW that needs repair. does anyone know of a good place to send it in Southern California? or are any of you "in the know" and can help me trouble shoot?

I am very familiar with my MOTU 896HD, which i have used for years, so i am not a new user to MOTU gear

I bought the unit on eBay a couple months ago for my home studio and it worked fine the 1st couple times i used it. after about a month of not using it i turned it on and now there is no audio coming out. it has a glitchy thing going on where the LCD is randomly switching back and forth from the "Gain Mix" screen to the "press to enter set up" screen.

I am running a outboard MIDI rig unto it using the 828 as a mixer using CueMix and to record the audio into DP7. the audio in is randomly working and i can record audio into DP most of the time, but sometimes with just stop for a few seconds and starts again.

CueMix shows that all the levels are up and the LED's in CueMix show i have signal to the main outputs. on the 828 only the left main out shows there is signal and the main out volume is all the way up. but no sound out of the main output jacks. I tried using the other outputs (1-8) with no success either. I tested all cables with a mixer and everything works as it should.

I did a factory reset twice, but that did not help. I was thinking this might be an issue with Yosemite 10.10.1 and firewire so i tried my older Laptop running Lion and the issue is still there, so i believe it is a hardware issue

any help would be appreciated
Main Rig: Mac Pro 8 core OSX 10.10.1, MOTU 896HD (Black Lion Mod) DP7.24

Secondary Rig: iMac 27" i5 4 core, OSX 10.10.1, MOTU 828 mkII, DP7.24
asc

Re: 828 MKII FW Repair?

Post by asc »

Hi,

Did you find any repair shop in CA?

Thanks,
Sergio
gtrnstuff

Post by gtrnstuff »

A tech at Sweetwater sent me this re: a problem I'm having with my 828 MkII:

MOTU has a flat-rate repair policy, but it is only available through them direct.

You'll want to contact MOTU at 617 576 3066.
Mac Mini 3 GHz Dual Core Intel Core i7
16G RAM
DP 11
OS 12.6.3
Apogee Rosetta toslink to 828x, USB to computer
Playa

Post by Playa »

Hi,

I called in about my 828mkII unit the other day, and it appears that MOTU does not repair those units anymore. It makes sense since they are really old. They probably do not have any left in stock to replace the broken ones out there.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

The newest units like mine are now 8 years old. Some of the ICs are proprietary. The refurb program on these was dropped about a year ago.

I use mine only when tracking or importing audio from another device and not as my full-time audio interface. This is probably why it has lasted so long and I expect will continue to do so.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

MIne's still going strong… knock wood!