OS X 10.10.1 and Firewire ports

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
zuul-studios
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

OS X 10.10.1 and Firewire ports

Post by zuul-studios »

Hello -

I recently updated Yosemite to 10.10.1. So far, I've enjoyed the upgrade to Yosemite. Overall, my audio and video editing programs seem to be functioning just fine. However, I did run into a snag which has me a bit frightened.

Here's the Snag:

After updating to OS X 10.10.1, I attached my Panasonic AG-HPX170 videocamera to my Early 2009 Mac Pro (noted in my signature) to ingest (copy) the video files from its Panasonic P2 cards. This process was done via the MacPro's FireWire port. During the ingesting process, all copying suddenly stopped. Under previous Apple Operating Systems, including Yosemite 10.10, this has NEVER happened before. Prior to OS X 10.10.1, the ingesting process from the AG-HPX170s has been 100% flawless. Not with OS X 10.10.1. This has me quite concerned. By the way, I checked and re-checked everything. The FireWire port to the HPX170 is functioning fine. The FireWire ports to the Early 2009 MacPro are functioning as intended. The FireWire cables that I use all are in good working order. I know this because I booted up the MacPro from another start-up disk (with Mavericks still on it) and re-tested everything.

I have two Apple computers. My main computer is the Early 2009 MacPro. I also own a MacMini. Attached to it is MOTU's 828 MK3 via a FireWire Port. Because of the snag that I ran into, I am reluctant to update the MacMini, with the 828 MK3, to 10.10.1. My MacMini has been upgraded to OS X 10.10, though, and it with the 828 MK3 are functioning just fine. It seems that 10.10.1 is the "problem".

Here are my questions:

1) Has anyone else here experienced problems with their FireWire ports on the Mac computers since upgrading/updating to OS X 10.10.1?

2) Are there any known issues between OS X 10.10.1 and audio devices like MOTU's 828 MK3?

I am reluctant to update the MacMini to OS X 10.10.1 until I hear that the world is fine between that operating system, the 828 MK3 and the one precious FireWire 800 port out of the MacMini.

Thank you in advance.
Computer:
Apple's M2 Mac Studio with 96 RAM; macOS X 14.5 (beta); 1 Internal SSD, 8 External SSDs, MOTU 828es audio device, AKAI MPK88 Keyboard Controller

Software:
DP11.31, Logic Pro X, FCPX, DaVinci Resolve; VSL's Super Package, VEPro 7 & MIR Pro, VI Pro 2; Altiverb 8; Cinesample's CineSympnony Complete Bundle; Native-Instrument's Komplete 13 Ultimate Collectors Edition, and many more VIs.
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: OS X 10.10.1 and Firewire ports

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I've only used FW for my Track 16 and external drives under 10.10.1 without incident. Might not help much, nevertheless there it is...
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

First thing to do with a FW problem is to reset the NV RAM (aka PRAM). Shut down and re-boot holding the Command-Option-P-R keys. Let it chime three times before restarting.

I have had the FW port collapse on many machines and this brings it back to life. Once, I had to do it three times before it worked (I was on the horn with Apple Support - the tech was just as surprised as I was that I had to do it more than once).

Speaking of which, you have a 2009 Mac Pro. How many years since you replaced the C2032 NV RAM battery? If more than three years (or never), that's your likely culprit. Replace it before the random restarts and other issues begin. There are some YouTube videos on getting the old battery out without breaking the holder–It's easy but tricky (and other videos on how to replace the holder if accidentally broken). A weak battery is actually worse than no battery in these.

Never hot plug or disconnect a FW device. Both it and your computer should be off before a cable is connected or removed (doesn't matter if you've read differently–too many horror stories out there). It's ok to turn it off and on when connected, however.

I have never had success using my 828mkII and a FW hub without the port collapsing. I have tried a few brands of hubs. My MOTU device likes a direct connection.

Warning. In Yosemite, if booting from a non-Apple SSD and have Trim enabled (through Terminal or Trim Enabler), turn it off and reboot before resetting the NV RAM. This does not apply to earlier OS nor to mechanical HDs nor to Apple internal SSDs.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
zuul-studios

Post by zuul-studios »

First. . . I want to thank you for the responses. (The knowledge found here is gold!)

I believe that I changed the battery about 2 years ago. But, it could have been longer. This would be to the Early 2009 MacPro computer which I've had for a few years, now. (Purchased it used.) I never changed any battery to the MacMini. It's relatively new, purchased it last year. (Don't know if there is even a battery in it to change.) With regards to the MacPro, yep. . . gonna change that battery ASAP. Thanks for the reminder!

As for the SSDs in the MacPro, they're all purchased from OWC. (All 7 of them.) I used to have TRIM Enabler, but have since deleted it from both start-up disks since upgrading to Yosemite. So far, so good.

With regards to FW devices, they're never connected or disconnected while the computer power (or external device power) is on. It's an old habit, I guess. The MOTU 828 MK3 is directly connected to the MacMini via an FW 800 to 400 cable. It works great!

MIDI Life Crisis (I forgot your real name, apologies) - It's encouraging to read that your external HDDs and audio devices are working well under OS X 10.10.1.

With all of the changes being made by Apple to their newer computers and Operating Systems, I'm seeing my now-fine-working MacPro getting older and older. It still works wonderfully for my modest projects. However, at some point I can see that I'll have to purchase a new computer without the FW and eSATA ports. THAT's going to be a huge expense as I'll have to purchase all kinds of new things to go along with that new computer (like audio devices, external SSD drives, etc., etc.) I sure hope my happy Early 2009 MacPro lasts me for at least a few more years if not longer. Same with the MacMini, but it does have the TB and USB 3 ports. The MacMini should last me a good long time, still. (Knock on wood.)

Peace to you two. . . :)
Computer:
Apple's M2 Mac Studio with 96 RAM; macOS X 14.5 (beta); 1 Internal SSD, 8 External SSDs, MOTU 828es audio device, AKAI MPK88 Keyboard Controller

Software:
DP11.31, Logic Pro X, FCPX, DaVinci Resolve; VSL's Super Package, VEPro 7 & MIR Pro, VI Pro 2; Altiverb 8; Cinesample's CineSympnony Complete Bundle; Native-Instrument's Komplete 13 Ultimate Collectors Edition, and many more VIs.
MIDI Life Crisis

Mike, but I've been called worse. Recently... Lol
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
MIDI Life Crisis

Ps - You're welcome
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I should have mentioned that my 828mkII FW works fine on my 2010 iMac in OS 10.10.1 as does a FW external drive.

On the battery, I was chagrined to see my nice watch from last Christmas acting up a few weeks ago--soon for a battery, I thought. My wife says, "I got that for you the Christmas before last, it's just a battery". So I checked the paperwork and it was bought in 2011. Oh... A $16 battery later, I was good to go.

Your Mini has the same battery as does my iMac.

I'm running an SSD via eSATA. That's put off my desire to upgrade a year or two at least, perhaps more. I'm using Trim Enabler but know how to get in should something ever screw up in that regards.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

I hope the battery in my Apple iWatch last longer. In fact, I hope I get one by my birthday in March.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS