Repairing an 828mkII Firewire

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
boomstik
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Repairing an 828mkII Firewire

Post by boomstik »

Hi,
I'm trying to find some resources on - or someone who can help with - repairing my 828mkII FW interface. It's experiencing all the things that are apparently common with this unit: dead LCD backlight, intermittent startup freezing / all LEDs on, and freeze/not being seen by the computer when plugging in Firewire.
Contacted support, and they "no longer have the parts, kthxbai".

I'm good with DIY repair - the "doing" part, as in taking things apart and poking them with a soldering iron - but not sure how to troubleshoot the freezing issues, or where to source a new backlight.

Has anyone done any 3rd party repair on these, or could point me in some direction? I'm in Toronto, and totally open to giving money to a person who can fix this for me.

Many thanks!
4stripes
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Repairing an 828mkII Firewire

Post by 4stripes »

Usually components will have part numbers and identifiers on them and you can find them online. I'm sure they're common to all MOTU of that era.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mikehalloran »

There have been a few cryptic posts over the years. But none that says, you need part# xxxx from linkxxx.

You can search the many, many threads on these issues and they might give you a clue. Keep in mind that the 828mkII Firewire was discontinued late 2006 so if you need proprietary parts, the likelihood of availability is slim.

Apparently the FW jack is an inexpensive repair as well as the most common problem. The one guy who posted about it was so insulting to everyone who asked about details that we never did get the part number(s?), only that he found it at Mouser.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
boomstik
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by boomstik »

Yeah, I found that thread. The guy was an ass... but too bad he was kicked off the forums, I would've had questions for him.
I don't think it's the jack that's problematic, since it's actually freezing up completely and irreversibly until power cycled.
A friend recommended I check the power supply for blown capacitors, which will be my next step.
But I guess I'm sh*t out of luck otherwise. That is a real shame, seeing how this was a $1500 audio interface just a few years ago, and still is a very capable piece of hardware (unless plugged in to a computer, that is). You'd think MOTU would be a little more supportive of their customers, instead of pushing them to buy replacement gear, and sending a repairable device to the landfill. I refuse to believe they don't have any in-house resources to do a repair, or at least a diagnostic (for which I'm prepared to pay). I don't think I'll be giving them any of my money in the future.
dosuna11
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by dosuna11 »

Don't know if this will help but it solved the buzzing problem after I got it back from MOTU. $99 plus shipping fixed all my problems except.

http://www.davidosuna.com/html&swf/828fix.html
iMac 2.7Ghz quadcore i5 16 gig RAM DP 7.24 OS 10.6.8, iMac G5 2.1GHz 2.5 gig Ram DP 5.13 OS 10.4.11 MOTU 828 MK2, East West Platinum Plus, Miroslav Philharmonic, Komplete 5, Kontakt 2 Garritan Big Band, Mr Sax T, The Trumpet, DrumCore, Trilogy and Trillian, Ivory, MachFive, Ethno Instrument, Reason 4, SampleTank 2 Sampletron, Samplemoog, Melodyne Editor, Nomad plugins, Vintage Warmer, Ozone 4, Amplitube Jimi, Xgear and AmpegSVX.
http:www.davidosuna.com