MOTU 828Mk3 - Logic Headphone mixing

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
Tony_M
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MOTU 828Mk3 - Logic Headphone mixing

Post by Tony_M »

Hi
I have been trying for three days to resolve this and no success, so here goes. I have an recently purchased MOTU 828 Mk3 with CueMix FX, and Logic V9 on my MacBook pro.
I am trying to create up to 4 different headphone mixes via my 4 channel Behringer headphone amp. I would like to combine the main mix from Logic with additional signal from an individual players previously recorded logic channel mixed in a mixbus in CueMix going on to the main input on the headphone amp; and then using separate mix busses I would like to route individual signals from the live record signal to the aux inputs of each channel on the headphone amp. This way I can mix individual mixes from the recorded multitrack audio with some of the live recording signal for foldback of their own audio to individual players who are recording together.
My problem is that I cant get Logic to send previously recorded audio to the CueMix software via a logic bus and an aux channel to a CueMix channel. I can get audio into the S/PDIF channel but that is only one channel and I can mix it as I want using just using that input.
Can anyone help with how to get individual channel audio from logic into a CueMix channel. I set it all up and the signal just wont appear in Cuemix. I know that the channel numbers in Logic and CueMix are offset by 2 - Logic channel 1 maps to CueMix Channel 3 etc. I have read the CueMix manual thoroughly but I just cant get the audio to appear and be available for mixing through to an output on the MOTU for input to the headphone amp.
Any thoughts gratefully received.
Cheers
Tony
bayswater

Re: MOTU 828Mk3 - Logic Headphone mixing

Post by bayswater »

Tony_M wrote: My problem is that I cant get Logic to send previously recorded audio to the CueMix software via a logic bus and an aux channel to a CueMix channel. I can get audio into the S/PDIF channel but that is only one channel and I can mix it as I want using just using that input.
Cuemix doesn't work that way. It has minimal interaction with the routing and mixing inside a DAW. Think of it as an external hardware digital mixer that exists independently of the software mixer in Logic. It is primarily set up to mix the 828's inputs to it's outputs. Whatever you could do with that you could do with Cuemix with the appropriate routing.

E.g. you could route the inputs from the 828 to input channels in Logic, and then route these to a bus for each headphone mix (as if it was an effects bus). If you route the playback from Logic regions signals to the same busses, you can then send each to one of the 4 analog output pairs on the 828 and send these to the headphones. You can get a few more output pairs using the S/PDIF pair, the Main outputs (if they are not needed for general monitoring) and the ADAT outs if you can covert that to analog somewhere.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Tony_M

Re: MOTU 828Mk3 - Logic Headphone mixing

Post by Tony_M »

Hi Bayswater. I was obviously trying to get it to do something it cant do. Thanks for the tip about routing live feed to a mixdown in Logic and creating the headphone mix in Logic. Its probably an easier way to work as I will not be flicking between logic and CueMix all the time to vary volumes. I will give it a trial this evening.
Thanks for your reply
Tony