828 (original) suddenly stopped working

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
krideau
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

828 (original) suddenly stopped working

Post by krideau »

Hello,
I have an original 828 (from '02, I think), and it suddenly stopped working tonight. Here are what I hope are all the relevant facts.

When it first stopped working, the 44.1k/48k LED's were rapidly alternating, as is normal when it is starting up. I don't recall doing anything in particular before it malfunctioned.

Now, sometimes when I turn it on, it does nothing, other times all the LED's light up and it just stays that way. In both cases, I do hear the faint hum that it always makes when it is powered up.

I was using Reason 8 when it stopped working, and Reason did see it, and sent audio through it. Now Reason does not see it at all.

I re-installed the driver that I downloaded from MOTU.com. No effect.

I updated the OS from 10.9.5 to 10.9.6. No effect.

Maybe it's just a coincidence, but I'm also getting an error saying the system extension AppleUSBEthernethost.kext cannot be used. I don't know if that has anything to do with the 828 problem, but just thought I'd mention it.

Well, there you go. I'm stumped.

—kr