HD192 and 2408 MK3 not in synch

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
mardyk
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

HD192 and 2408 MK3 not in synch

Post by mardyk »

Hello, I think I used to be a member of a previous version of this forum a long time ago.
Anyway, this is my first post here.
I have a HD192 and a 2408 MK3 hooked up to one 424 card. I use a 2008 Mac Pro with 10.9.4.
I added the 2408 a couple of years ago but haven't used it much. The reason is that the two interfaces are not properly synched. Or at least I don't think they are. I have searched the entire internet for answers but have come up empty handed.
Using the I/O plugin in Logic X I get the following results.
Output 1 > Input 1 has an offset of + 104 samples. This is the HD192.
Output 13 > Input 13 has an offset of + 57 samples. This is the 2408.
2408 > 192 gives me +90 and 192 > 2408 gives me +70.
In a mix situation, 2408 outputs are about 14 samples earlier and 1.3dB louder than 192 outputs. This makes the whole thing pretty useless, especially for parallel processing.
If I use a sample delay and set it to 13.9 samples and lower the output 1.3 dB it almost nulls
with polarity inverted. Almost...
Since I can't find any information about this anywhere, I believe there must be something wrong in my setup.
Can someone please shed some light on this?
4stripes
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: HD192 and 2408 MK3 not in synch

Post by 4stripes »

Different products have different latencies and levels. Simple as that. Add delay to your channels to make them all line up.
mardyk

Post by mardyk »

4stripes wrote:Different products have different latencies and levels. Simple as that. Add delay to your channels to make them all line up.
I'm not so sure about that. I'm also talking to MOTU tech support. They are advising me to check my word clock connections and try different ports on the PCI card to see if I can get the two units to play back in synch.
So, it seems to me that it's supposed to work. Otherwise they would have said what you just said, right?
Anyway, I'm going to try a few more things.
4stripes
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by 4stripes »

Well, if you don't believe this fact, it's very easy to confirm. Swap the Firewire ports. If the latencies follow the device, it is built into the device.

Or set them up standalone and run a signal through them and record the source and the loop through with another device, then check the latency of that.

Word clock doesn't add latency. You probably confused them a bit when you said 'sync.' In digital audio, sync has a widely accepted definition, that being the clocking of digital devices together. Or they're just stalling 'til they can find their specs. ;)

The 'latency' through a device is called group delay. You should ask MOTU what the group delay of the two products is. That will get you the answer you want. Group delay will even be different in the same device on different types of IO, for example, analog usually has the highest delay, and digital will have a different delay.
mardyk

Post by mardyk »

Ok, so I've been reading about this now.
I just didn't realize that this was the case.
So, ages ago I read about setting the recording delay in Logic. You were supposed to run a cable from one output into an input and re-record a click and then measure how late it was. Nowadays you can do it with the ping function in th I/O plugin.
I just can't really get my head around it. Surely there's one latency going in and one going out?
This is obvious to me since the 2408 output is about 14 samples earier than the outputs from the HD 192.
A HD192 loop is 104 samples and a 2408mk3 loop is 57 samples. I found some info that the 24I/O has a group delay of 30 samples.
How can I find out the delay going in? I mean, I want my acoustic guitar strum to be exactly where I play it and not 1 or 2 ms late right?
I'm guessing that if I knew the exact group delay of each device, I could figure out the latency going in.