logic9+mackie 16/8 bus mixer+motu 828 mk2

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
8busman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

logic9+mackie 16/8 bus mixer+motu 828 mk2

Post by 8busman »

Hi!

I recently got a 16 channel 8 bus mackie mixer to add to my small collection of hardware.

I have been trying all weekend to get it set up and working with logic and my motu, but had no success at all....

Ive been trying to send a beat out of logic, to the mackie, run it through the eqs, and crunch it up on the gains, and then record it back into logic. Also want to do this with 808 kicks etc...

My monitors are connected to the main outs on the back of the motu, i thought i could just change the output of the audio track in logic to the same output that i have going from the motu to the desk, and then run it back into the motu, and record it on another audio track...
But as soon as i do this, i lose sound...Why is this!???

I often record a hardware synth in logic, which i have plugged in to motu input 1-2, but cant seem to send a signal out of the motu...

I went into the cuemix thing, but theres no controls for outputs???

The only way i found was to send the main outs to the desk, but then where do my speakers get plugged into...???

I dont want my speakers pluged into the desk as i dont want to have to turn it on every single time i want to listen to something

This is a massive problem for me, as i also have an emu sampler that i want to send stuff too, but if i have to use the main outs to send to the emu, where am i suppossed to monitor...???

Please please help, my planned weekend of music making has been completely crushed because of what seems like such a basic issue!!
4stripes
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: logic9+mackie 16/8 bus mixer+motu 828 mk2

Post by 4stripes »

Did it all work before you got the mixer? From the sound of it, it seems like it never would have worked, because you seem to have trouble getting audio out of the MOTU.

Generally if you have a mixer, you make that the hub of the studio, and use it for monitoring.

You may want to look into the manual on CueMix. All the outputs are right there on the output tab...

There are many ways to set up this workflow, but I would connect all your sources to the mixer, then connect the mixer bus outs to the MOTU inputs, and record that way. Connect the MOTU monitor out to the mixer 2track/external input for monitoring the DAW. Or you can connect the MOTU outs discretely to your mixer line inputs.

Having a mixer and the MOTU though is a bit redundant, unless you want some of the hands on control that a mixer gives you.
8busman

Post by 8busman »

Well this is the first time ive tried using the other outputs, before i just had the main outs of the motu going into a channel on the desk, and then back in on a motu input, then in logic id simply select that input on an audio track ( disabling the output of course) and record away.

But then theres 8 outputs not doing anything. Kinda defeats the point of having an 8 in 8 out soundcard...

Basically i just want to able to have my speakers connected to the motu main outs,
and then be able to send one channel out to the desk, through it, and back into the motu, effectively just using the desk as a distortion/overdrive.

Then have another output on the motu going into my emu sampler, and then back in.
I dont want to always have the desk on, just for resampling missions you know..?

The only sound i have managed to get out of any output other than the main outs, is the onboard mac sound effects !??
I plugged my speakers into outputs 5-6 on the motu, then changed the Default stereo output in the motu audio setup, but this does not work for logic, or any other media player i have on my computer. Neither does changing the default output in the logic preferences...

I have read the manual cover to cover over the weekend, and its been very little help to be honest, the cuemix i have does not have an output tab, and all it says in the manual is to control the output levels of the analogue outs from your audio software......
Completely gutted i bought this sound card to be honest, and will be getting rid of it as soon as possible, this is such a very basic thing, never had any issue whats so ever using my old m audio 1010. Unfortunately had to sell it when i got my mac pro, as it wasnt compatible :(

I totally hear what you are saying about connecting everything into the mixer, but what if i didnt have a mixer, and just wanted to send a signal to my emu for example..?
Only the main outs are putting out a signal, so how would i connect my speakers...?

So this 8 in 8 out soundcard is basically a 8 in 1 out soundcard as of this moment in time...

:deadhorse:
4stripes

Post by 4stripes »

To use all the MOTU outs, in your DAW just route your channels (or buses) to those outputs. Your DAW manual will tell you how to do that. Every DAW track has an input and an output. You select the MOTU for the input and output, and that's what you'll get.

https://documentation.apple.com/en/logi ... C_1107-SW7
8busman

Post by 8busman »

Yeah man, very familiar with ins and outs in logic, but as soon as I change the output on a channel, I get no sound.....
I was Beginning to think all the outputs in the card are knackered, but then they can't be as I can get Mac OS sound effects playing through them....
It seems to me that the motu software and logic are not communicating with each other, at least not when it comes to the analogue outputs..
8busman

Post by 8busman »

Still no further forward to sotring this out, but it does seem like its a software issue between logic and the motu software,

If i go mac- system pref- sound- sound Effects, and tell it to play sound effects through Motu 828mk2, then click on the alert volume slider, then i hear the mac beep soundeffect...

If i then open the Motu audio setup, and change the default stereo out to ANYTHING else, then i get the output leds light up on the front of the 828, and the sound comes out of said output all good!
I can also change the phone assign to the same output, and still all good!

How ever..... if i open Logic, and change the output on an audio track for example, then change the default stereo output in motu audio setup, i get nothing, the output leds dont light up, i get no sound, and the phone assign will not work either.....

But..... if i change the output on an audio track in logic to either the s/pdif outputs, or to the adat outputs, then i get the output leds light up on the motu, and i can also hear those outputs if i route them in motu audio setup-phones assign.....
What the heck??
Oh and i have exactly the same issue in soundtrack pro....
This is driving me insane, i have the latest motu drivers/updates etc, is there anyone here who runs logic 9 and a 828 mk2 that can send anything out of any output apart from the main outs...??
How can you record to an external source for example, if monitors are connected to main outs!?
8busman

Post by 8busman »

Anyone!??
4stripes

Post by 4stripes »

Do a system reset on the 828. Then reinstall the latest MOTU drivers and post a screenshot of your Logic Device and IO assignments windows, and your MOTU Audio Setup console.
8busman

Post by 8busman »

Still having this same problem....
Yeah i have tried the system rest thing, it does nothing to solve my problem.
Got this thread ongoing...
http://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/viewt ... 0&t=110872

cheers