PCIe-424 Internal Summing with CueMix?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
brucerothwell
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

PCIe-424 Internal Summing with CueMix?

Post by brucerothwell »

I have a PCIe-424 card in my Mac Pro.

I have four 1224's connected to the PCIe-424.

Currently, I output up to 30 channels of audio from the 1224's to my Shadow Hills Equinox, which then returns a summed mix back to Pro Tools.

I have been pondering the idea of being able sum to 4 groups of channels, and recording 4 stereo pairs back into my DAW -- 4 stereo stems.

So, I've been looking at how I can do that with a different analog summing solution.

I also have considered just mixing in Pro Tools, to separate stem tracks. But, I am concerned that, for the same reason I am going OTB to begin with, I would not be happy with DAW-computed stem mixes.

Is it possible to do internal summing using CueMix, to create 4 stereo stems all at once?

If so, would there be a difference in the sound quality, as compared to the DAW-computed mixes?

Any advice is welcomed!
4stripes
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: PCIe-424 Internal Summing with CueMix?

Post by 4stripes »

Does the 1224 have CueMix even? I don't think so.

CueMix is a digital mixer, just like a DAW, so there's no difference. If you want to know yourself, do a mix through each at unity, line them up together, flip the phase on one. They'll perfectly cancel.

You could do multiple stereo stems with something like XL-Desk. You could do two stereo stems from 32 inputs with X-Desk (cue and mix buses).
brucerothwell

Post by brucerothwell »

The 1224's don't have the DSP functionality, but the CueMix utility is still part of the PCIe-424 install.

However, when I run it, it seems I only see faders/pans/etc for the 1224 _inputs_, not the outputs... so I am not sure how I can create stems in CueMix.

Not sure what XL-Desk (or X-Desk?), but I'll check that out.

Thanks for the response!
brucerothwell

Post by brucerothwell »

I did a search on both XL-Desk and X-Desk... what came up were SSL hardware products.

Not sure why that is a suggestion here.
4stripes
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by 4stripes »

Because you literally asked "So, I've been looking at how I can do that with a different analog summing solution." So you got a different analog summing solution as a reply. Seems reasonable. You can't do 4 stereo analog buses if your hardware (Equinox) doesn't have them.

Of course with CueMixDSP you can mix to multiple buses--you have as many buses as you have outputs, just like in a DAW. You pan channels to buses, you don't pan outputs. It's all right in there. Try chapter 11.

And as an aside, anyone doing summing should compare the summed device with a straight DA>AD connection to see if the analog summing is any better than the conversion itself, an extra step which many generally wanted to avoid before summing became fashionable.
brucerothwell

Post by brucerothwell »

Thank you, 4stripes. Sorry if I appeared ungrateful. That was a statement, though... my question was about what I could with CueMix. No matter. My bad. You offered good advice and I appreciate it.

I'll check out Chapter 11 of the manual.

I did try creating stems in Pro Tools, and it actually turned out better than I thought.