828x MIDI Routing into MIDI XT

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
diabolo
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

828x MIDI Routing into MIDI XT

Post by diabolo »

Greetings from Foo Jersey,

I am trying to figure out, how to route the MIDI signal coming out of a MOTU 828x into a MOTU MIDI XT interface. I tried using the MAC OS X Audio/MIDI setup, but I cant seem to patch the outputs of the 828x into the XT. I am trying to avoid having to connect the XT via USB, if I can do it from the 828x.

regards
Sam
4stripes
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: 828x MIDI Routing into MIDI XT

Post by 4stripes »

Find a MIDI cable. Plug it from the 828 out into the XT in. There is no other way, they are two different independent devices.
diabolo
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by diabolo »

Well I figured it out. Not so simple as just plugging a MIDI cable in.

First you have to connect Rig A via USB to the MOTU XT. Then, you must map the ports ins and outs you need using CLOCKWORKS. Save this configuration on a USER BANK. Once this is done, then you can unhook your USB cable. Then your MIDI signal will travel via Thunderbolt into the 828x and from there, it will pass along the MOTU XT, to your MIDI devices.
4stripes
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by 4stripes »

I figured the setup of the XT was the obvious part--for this purpose, a 1-to-1 default routing is fine. In the end, it's still just a MIDI cable from one to the other.