Echo with 828 mk3 Hybrid and protools 11

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
Gruntos
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Echo with 828 mk3 Hybrid and protools 11

Post by Gruntos »

Hello All,
I have just upgraded my system from a SonarX1 on a PC to a Protools 11 on a Mac.

I am getting lots of echo when using the mike when monitoring but this is not being picked up on the recorded data. Listening back its clean. But its very off putting.
I have reduced the Playback engine hardware buffers to 64 as 32 causes a error but I still hear echo with in headphones.

Protools channel data is set to Mike 1 for in. and main out for output.

In Cuemix, Phones are set to Main out Or putting them on the main out does the same.

I have tried various combinations setting the protools output and headphones ADAT 7/8, Analog 1/2 and I still get echo...

reducing the hardware buffers have helped but its still bad

Just to point out, The mike channel has dynamics on but reverb is off.

Thanks any pointers would be great.

Bob
4stripes
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Echo with 828 mk3 Hybrid and protools 11

Post by 4stripes »

Sounds like you are monitoring through the DAW. If you don't want latency, you have to monitor the input through CueMix, using an output that the DAW is not routed to as well, or mute the DAW channel.
Gruntos

Post by Gruntos »

I had a feeling that would be the answer but its not as simple as that.
I broadcast a radio show using Megaseg software this is router to Adat 1/2 out.

There is a ADAT loopback cable (ie ADAT out connected to Adat IN so. in Pro tools I have created a Aux track with Input ADAT 1/2 and output to bus 1/2.
The Mike is connected to another Aux track again the output to Bus 1/2.
Bus 1/2 is connected to a Audio track so I can record the show.
The output of the Audio is sent back to the 828 on ADAT 7/8 so I can pick up this in Nicecast the live streaming softrare. (Cant attach it to Main 1/2 :( )
So using a DAW with this aux tracks Protools acts as a mixer.

If I monitor it in the 828 then the mike and outputs are effectively pre fader.

So that is why I have phones on AdAT 7/8 so I can hear whats goign to the transition stream.

I use to use the 828 as the mixer but I kept loosing control of Cuemix with my DAW and caused a break in the transmission.

Oh well I will progress.

Bob
4stripes
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by 4stripes »

If you're hearing echo it means you're monitoring in two places, you should just monitor a single point. If it's just latency that would be a different problem.

You can probably rethink your PT routing to get low latency. Here's what you wrote:

MegaSeg > ADAT 1/2 > ADAT 1/2 > Aux 1 > Bus 1/2 > Audio 1 > ADAT 7/8 > MOTU phones & Nicecast
Mic 1 > Aux 2 > Bus 1/2 > Audio 1 > ADAT 7/8 > MOTU phones & Nicecast

Or post a link to your Pro Tools session as a zip file w/ no audio.
Gruntos

Post by Gruntos »

Ive had a look at the PT forums and there are a few posts regarding echo. Every reply said set the latency as low as possible. Pitting it at 32 samples causes an error
but 64 is workable but it is annoying though.
I tried with Mike > Audio track > main out (headphones) and got echo .

I posted a tech note and got the reply "monitor in the 828" this is a little difficult so I will progress trying to find a better way to do this.

Thanks

bob