828x, 8pre and Cuemix FX

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
mbenatar
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

828x, 8pre and Cuemix FX

Post by mbenatar »

Hello,
I am new to the forum.
I have a 828x interfaced via ADAT to 8pre. I am using Logic X with a iMac i7 core 3.5 Ghz 8gigs.
I am using an iPad with Logic remote and OSC remotely.

I have both units slaved together via ADAT "A" light pipe in and out to both units. I do have successful interface to both units with Logic X.

I was hoping that Cuemix FX/OSC could control both 828x and 8pre. Is there a way to make this happen? As it stands I can control the 828x via CueMIx FX/OSC but have to control the 8pre via the front panel of the unit. This makes for a very cumbersome adjustment from my isolated drum kit as I am the drummer and engineer .

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
mbenatar
4stripes
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: 828x, 8pre and Cuemix FX

Post by 4stripes »

You probably have to install the CueMix for each product and control them with each app.
rockitcity

Post by rockitcity »

Searching for something else and came upon this...

If you have the 8 pre routed into the 828X via lightpipe, the 8 pre inputs should just show up in the Cue Mix panel as additional inputs. This would work for monitoring only, as the 8 pre did not have digitally controlled mic pre levels until the most recent version, so you would have to get someone else to help with your input trims while you played.

If you have your 828X lightpipe output routed into the 8 pre lightpipe input and set its sync to "ADAT" then your software can control sample rate to both units simultaneously. Otherwise, be careful both software and hardware have the same sample rate!
Mac Mini Quad i7 2.6 Ghz, 16 G RAM, 2 SSD's. Motu 896 HD Hybrid, 8pre, Fastlane USB, Presonus Faderport, vintage guitars!
mbenatar

Post by mbenatar »

Hello,
Well it's 4 years later and I still have yet to get CueMix to interface with my iPad properly. I am so frustrated with this Motu gear. I'm to the point of selling it and getting something that actually has some quality phone support, clear instructions and manuals of it's use.

mbenatar
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

It’s hard to help when you haven’t told us exactly what you are trying to do—only that you can’t do it.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mbenatar

Post by mbenatar »

I understand. Sorry for my rant.

My DAW is Logic Pro. I am trying to use my iPad to control CueMix fx with TouchOSC using the CueMixFX-track16touchosc layout, but I guess it will not interface with my two units the way they are interfaced with each other. I have an 828x light piped via TOSLINK to an 8pre. I have an eight channel snake plugged into all eight LowZ inputs on the 8pre so I can mic all of my acoustic drums in my home studio. I use the ADAT Optical setting Optical Bank A & Optical Bank B in MOTU Audio setup. Optical Bank "A" 1 thru 8 is the input of the snake to 8pre. And labeled Kick, Snare, HiTom, Mid Tom, Low Tom, Floor Tom, Overhead Left and OverHead Right. I use the Mic/Instrument on the 828x for HiHat. I really don't know what Optical Bank "B" is even for.

The Gist of all this is that I Want to be able to control my monitor headphone mix with my iPad from my drum kit. I have all the inputs in Logic assigned to Bus1 . Bus1 in CueMix assigned to Phones 1-2.

I can actually control my mix with my iPad with Logic Remote and just use Cuemix FX, Bus 1 Phones 1-2 to raise and lower the volume. SO you can see how confusing this whole setup is with no support from MOTU. What is the proper way to set my system up? The inconsistencies with CueMix is very frustrating. One minute i can get reverb to a vocal monitor mix and the next it doesn't work.

mbenatar
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mbenatar

Post by mbenatar »

Good Morning,
Yes. I have read this. It is where I started. They don't even list my 828x or my 8pre. Which is why I'm assuming that I'm screwed. Motu sells this gear and then no support x amount of years down the road. It's very disappointing.

mbenatar
TinenTech

Post by TinenTech »

I think a change of routing might help you. And maybe not connecting the 8pre to the computer at all. CueMix can't treat multiple MOTU interfaces as a single mixer; each one has its own mix window on the computer. One thing I can't tell from your posts is...which PHONES are you using, the one on the 828 or the 8pre?

I have an "original" Traveler (which has limited CueMix DSP--no compression or EQ on each channel, no reverb, just trim/gain/pan/mute etc.) and an 896 Mk III, which has the full CueMix FX arsenal. So, I feel your pain :cry: It takes some convoluted thinking to figure out which one of the dozens of ways to route it is best...there's always something that doesn't click at first, advantages and disadvantages.

I would make your 828x the "master". Just treat the 8pre as a standalone ADAT optical mic preamp feeding the ADAT input of the 828. Don't hook it up to USB or FireWire at all. Label the optical A input channels of the 828 for your drum mics. There's no reason to run optical out of the 828 to the optical in of the 8pre in this scenario.

Just a suggestion...disable the optical B input of the 828 if you're not using it, just to gain some DSP power and lessen the number of channels displayed in Audio MIDI Setup.

I have compassion for MOTU tech support in issues like yours...it would take a very long phone call to talk everything through, and even then sometimes it would really take a "house call" to get everything straight. Having said that, CueMix could use better documentation, for sure.
MacBook Pro 9,1 (mid-2012 Core i7 2.3 GHz 4 GB RAM), OSX 10.11.3, Newertech Voyager SATA drive dock
MOTU: DP 9.02, Traveler Mk 1, 896 MkIII Hybrid, MIDI Express XT
Alesis AI3 optical interface, QS8, QS7, DM Pro, DM5, QSR
Mackie Controller and Extender (original MIDI)
Pro Tools 12
mdee

Post by mdee »

mbenatar wrote:Hello,
Well it's 4 years later and I still have yet to get CueMix to interface with my iPad properly. I am so frustrated with this Motu gear. I'm to the point of selling it and getting something that actually has some quality phone support, clear instructions and manuals of it's use.

mbenatar
I have the same situation with my 828mk3 Hybrid and the 8Pre USB. When connected through Optical I cannot access the 8Pre channels in Touch OSC. I can see all the inputs for the 828 and the 8Pre in one Cuemix mixer.

I contacted Hexler and sent them screenshots and here is their response.

It appears that MOTU has created this TouchOSC layout for use with their products. I will download the layout they made and take a look at it but I recommend you directly contact MOTU support, as this layout appears to be designed to work directly with their hardware. It is difficult for us to troubleshooot this without direct access to MOTU hardware. A likely solution would be to create an additional page in the layout and copy/paste the controls you need and change the incoming values for them accordingly.
Again I would recommend contacting MOTU directly, explaining the issue you are having, and seeing if they can provide an updated layout or a solution on their end.
After doing this if you are still having issues please let us know and we can check the layout format but again, it is difficult for us to troubleshoot hardware-specific issues like this without the appropriate hardware (and if MOTU provided they layout they should be able to offer support for it).
27 inch iMac 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9 40GB Ram - macOS Sonoma 14.3.1
Logic Pro X 10.8.1 - Performer Lite 11.23 - LUNA 1.5.3
Apollo X6 - UAD 11.1.0 - UAD OX 1.2