MOTU DP/828 Live playback rig

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
diabolo
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MOTU DP/828 Live playback rig

Post by diabolo »

Greetings from NJ,

I am building a redundant DP8 playback system. I am kind of stuck in the signal flow. Each system will be sending audio/MIDI/dmx signals. The audio part, will be handled by 2 MOTU 828s. Now with the MIDI aspect, I have some questions. Since both systems are sending MIDI signals out, will the MOTU MIDI XT, be able to MERGE both incoming MIDI signals into 1 output?

I really appreciate any tips.

here is a diagram... does this make sense?

4stripes
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: MOTU DP/828 Live playback rig

Post by 4stripes »

I see your idea, but I don't see how it would, because what would be there to merge exactly, if the data is the same? I don't think the XT is that smart. You would probably find it in the manual--yup not there.

Depending on how your MIDI devices behave perhaps you could do it with different channel mapping in the MOTU, such that the receive device looks at all channels.

Or maybe you use the XT pedal to do manual switchover of routes.

Google search redundant MIDI:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic ... VVvx6Bgmj0

Most people that need this level of redundancy are in theatre or other type of show control, try finding them.
diabolo
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MOTU DP/828 Live playback rig

Post by diabolo »

Thanks for your reply.

i see what your are saying... i guess i was thinking that the XT can take the incoming MIDI data, which in this case is the same, and route it to the connected devices as 1 signal. So the switching would basically happen automatically.

thanks again for the info. I will go out and scout those groups.

Sam