424 card not seeing HD 192 anymore

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
sultanmakende
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

424 card not seeing HD 192 anymore

Post by sultanmakende »

After many support tickets with MOTU tech support I have reached a dead end.
Problem:

Mac Pro sees the card fine both in system report and Prefs/audio.

After connecting HD 192 to the card, I open MOTU PCI driver / connection app, but there is no communication with the HD 192.

I have done all the obvious such as change firewire cable, change PCI slot, re-install PCI driver

The HD 192 seems to fire up fine with the startup clock source search and all status lights showing.

MOTU tech support don't seem to be particularly bothered about trying to help me, just saying that they no longer manufacture or support the HD 192.
So what do I do, just throw away a $2,000 interface that is less than 10 years old?
This is bad for the environment, bad for business and bad for me!!
I have asked them to at least send me a circuit diagram, so that I can try and get it repaired but so far no response.
So all you potential MOTU hardware purchasers out there be careful and think twice about buying a MOTU hardware product.
In the mean time, if any kind soul out there might have access to a circuit diagram and/or any repair tips, I would be forever indebted. :surrender: :boohoo:
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: 424 card not seeing HD 192 anymore

Post by mikehalloran »

So, how old is it?

Open it up and burnish all internal connectors by disconnecting and reconnecting three times. If oxidation is the culprit, this will restore functionality. Look for evidence of a cold or cracked solder joint and touch up any that you see.

Sometimes the cable connector will crack or wear out. These can be replaced.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
sultanmakende
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by sultanmakende »

Hi Mike, many thanks for the tip, I will try what you say.
I bought it new in 2005, so it's about 9 years old and had served me very well until recently.
I'm now living in Salvador, Brazil, not far from the ocean so I have a feeling that the salty air might be involved.
Do you know what is the best cleaning liquid to give the PCB's a good clean?
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mikehalloran »

DeOxIT from Craig Labs is the normal recommendation. A tiny .14g spray can costs about $8 at the local Radio Shack and one of those will work on a few devices. I don't know where to get it where you live but it's available online, of course.

My normal routine is to burnish the connectors and re-do them with DeOxIT only if that works. One application will last many years.

I hope this works.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro