CueMix, 896mk3, Roland DS-90s, and DP8

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
timeofsilence
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

CueMix, 896mk3, Roland DS-90s, and DP8

Post by timeofsilence »

I have recently changed from a Presonus FirestudioMobile to the 896mk3 Firewire. On the Presonus you had a volume setting for the output of the computer. For instance, when playing something from iTunes I could control the volume going to my speakers. In addition to all this, I was able to use the s/pdif output of the presonus for the main monitor out, thus allowing me to use the digital input feature on my monitors. My question, A) I can't seem to find a way to use the s/pdif output on the 896 and still hear the audio tracks I've recorded in DP8 without assigning their output to the s/pdif output. Is there a way to set the 896 to where the s/pdif outputs mirror whats coming out of the mains? Is there a way to control the volume of the computer in cue mix?

I'm using an older MacPro, OSX 10.7 (it won't let me go any higher than that), 12G RAM, MOTU DP8, MOTU 896mk3, 8pre fed optically into the 896.

Thank you for any help anyone can give.
4stripes
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: CueMix, 896mk3, Roland DS-90s, and DP8

Post by 4stripes »

You can set any output to be monitors via the MONITOR selection in CueMix.

Mirroring is done in the MOTU Audio Setup utility.

There is no MOTU gain control for your DAW output. You would do that with your DAW master fader.

http://cdn-data.motu.com/manuals/firewi ... de_Win.pdf
timeofsilence
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by timeofsilence »

Thank you 4Stripes for your reply. I'm still not getting it though. I'm also on a Mac. I've got the MOTU Audio Setup Default Stereo Output to Main Out 1-2 or S/PDIF, no difference. I click "monitor" on the SPDIF channel on the Outputs tab, still no sound. I don't know why I can't wrap my mind around this. I am completely stumped.
TinenTech
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by TinenTech »

Timeofsilence, do you want the MASTER VOL control on the front panel of the 896 to affect the level of the S/PDIF output? I think that's a level for the back panel MAIN OUT jacks only. Note that if you go analog to your monitors from the MAIN OUT jacks, there's a sort of hidden mute control by pressing on the MASTER VOL control.

Do you want to adjust the level of Mac system sounds relative to your DAW output, or are you just talking about the whole thing when you say "computer output"?

Go into the Bundles window of DP and make sure S/PDIF is enabled in the Outputs section…sounds like there may be a bunch of old Presonus outputs in your session and they haven't been "re-steered" to the right MOTU outputs.

CueMix only affects the live inputs, not tracks out of DP. Every output of the 896 sums the output of any CueMix sent to that output with any DP output also sent there. It's like two separate mixers connected to the same jack. Play around with this for awhile to get the hang of it…it can be a bit of a mind bender. The most common problem is you have the same microphone coming from DP and CueMix, and don't know why it "doesn't mute" when you mute one and not the other.

Don't forget you can assign a CueMix to S/PDIF as well.
MacBook Pro 9,1 (mid-2012 Core i7 2.3 GHz 4 GB RAM), OSX 10.11.3, Newertech Voyager SATA drive dock
MOTU: DP 9.02, Traveler Mk 1, 896 MkIII Hybrid, MIDI Express XT
Alesis AI3 optical interface, QS8, QS7, DM Pro, DM5, QSR
Mackie Controller and Extender (original MIDI)
Pro Tools 12
4stripes
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by 4stripes »

TinenTech wrote:. . . do you want the MASTER VOL control on the front panel of the 896 to affect the level of the S/PDIF output? I think that's a level for the back panel MAIN OUT jacks only.
This is not correct. the MASTER VOL encoder controls the level of any output selected as the Monitor Group. It happens to be Main Out by default, but all you have to do is select SPDIF to make that the monitor out.

CueMix works the same on Mac or PC.

It's all there on page 97, Monitor Group section.