Recording keyboards with Ultralite Mk1

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
rwconsultancy
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Recording keyboards with Ultralite Mk1

Post by rwconsultancy »

Hi,

I've just bought an Ultralite Mk1 from FleaBay, the plan being to do some live recording of electric piano and synths, acoustic guitar and vocals.

Guitar and vocals are going into the mic/instrument channels and are recording very nicely in Digital Performer.

The keyboards, on the other hand, are woefully quiet, even with everything turned all the way up. A bit of research has thrown up the likelihood that they're outputting at -10dBV whereas the interface is expecting +4dBu.

Short of buying more hardware (line boosters and the like) am I stuck? And, if so, I'm curious as to what sort of sources MOTU intended people to plug into the inputs. Can anyone help/enlighten me?

Many thanks,
Rob
artfarm1
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Recording keyboards with Ultralite Mk1

Post by artfarm1 »

Have you gone into the 'CueMix' software (or accessed from the Ultralite knobs) the different channel settings like "Boost", etc.?

Might help, depending on your keyboard. (I run an old Roland XP80 into my old Ultralite and an old Traveler, and it's got a 'hot' output and I have to decrease the channel input going into Ultralite.)

Or,to boost signal from the keyboard, you might have to get a little help from an 'ART' product or something. They make some tiny mixers, booster, etc.
DP 11, OS Ventura
MacMini 2023 M2Pro, 16 gig RAM, MOTU M6, SSD drives for everything, various sound/sampled libraries from all major vendors, Logic Pro X, DSP-Quattro
MacBook Pro 2015, OSX Monterey, 2.5ghz, 16 gig RAM (w/duplicate software as in MacMini setup)
Trombones: King 2B SilverSonic, King 2B Liberty, & Conn 88H w/Doug Elliott mouthpieces!
http://www.cammillarmusic.com