Macbook will not recognize Ultralite Mk3

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
ejackson
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Macbook will not recognize Ultralite Mk3

Post by ejackson »

Hi all, I'm trying to use a Motu Ultralite Mk3 with my Macbook Pro (Mac OS X 9). The interface model I have only has two firewire ports and no USB port, and it came with a double-ended 6-pin firewire cable. My laptop only has a firewire 800 (9-pin?) port. I bought a (male) 6-pin firewire to (male) USB adapter, plugged it into the interface and used a female to male USB cable to connect to the laptop. I used the Universal Audio Installer CD to install the software on the laptop. As per the manual, I shut off the computer, then turned it back on. I then connected the interface power adapter and turned it on (it turns on fine). The computer does not recognize the interface. I've tried running Motu Audio Setup and there is a checkbox with the message "Launch MOTU Audio Setup when hardware becomes available." I saw some things online suggesting the software was out-of-date, so I downloaded and installed the version 1.6 drivers from here: http://www.motu.com/download. I restarted the computer again (and the interface). Still nothing. I've also tried doing the same process on two Windows computers to no avail. My question is, does anybody know if this is a cable issue, or a software issue? Do I need to buy a 6-pin to 9-pin firewire adapter in order for this to work? Thanks in advance.
ejackson

Re: Macbook will not recognize Ultralite Mk3

Post by ejackson »

Alright, I'm now using a Mac Mini (OS X 10.7.5) which has a 6-pin firewire port. The interface powers on through just the firewire (without power adapter), but the computer still won't recognize it. I've tried it with firmware 1.4 and the most recent (1.6, downloaded from http://www.motu.com/download). Any thoughts?
CarlosO24

Post by CarlosO24 »

hey, im having the exact same problem with the same Interface, the Ultralite mk3.
did you found any solution?
thank you
jakedeniro

Post by jakedeniro »

Hi there, I solved my similar problem by using (1) an external power adapter (fortunately I saved the one that came with my mk3 all those years ago) and (2) a chained adapter solution. From the MacBook pro I used a USB-3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter, AND THEN a thunderbolt to Firewire 800 adapter, AND THEN a Firewire 800 to 400 adapter cable. Running latest audio drivers, Mac OS Mojave 10.14.4. I believe you can use a generic power adapter that is rated for the MOTU Ultralite mk3. Best of luck, it would be a shame to have to get rid of such an awesome piece of kit.
serryp

Post by serryp »

It will easily recognize if you do the installation from the assistance of https://uaetechnician.ae/samsung-service-centre and you will also get technical help.