What is MOTU's "Type II" ADAT Optical format?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
TinenTech
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

What is MOTU's "Type II" ADAT Optical format?

Post by TinenTech »

OK, I'm stumped. I've searched through the MOTU 8pre manual, the Knowledge Base, marketing materials, Google, and on these forums, looking for an answer.

MOTU seems to have a proprietary ADAT Optical format they call Type II. In recent products that offer high-sample-rate digital multichannel I/O by doubling the number of optical inputs and outputs, they offer a choice between "the industry Standard S/MUX (“Type I”) protocol for third-party product or MOTU’s own “Type II” protocol".

What is it? What advantage does it offer?

The only things I can imagine are:
1. Instead of putting ch. 1-4 on one pipe and 5-8 on another, they're putting all 8 channels on each, with one pipe carrying even-numbered and another carrying odd-numbered samples?
2. They're doing something different with clocking? (I recall something about the Alesis optical chips re-clocking all inputs, but my mind is a little "Error 7" on that part of the tape. :wink: )

If it's #1, that would be allow you to connect a single "Type II" optical output from a MOTU interface to a legacy non-96k converter and hear all 8 channels.
MacBook Pro 9,1 (mid-2012 Core i7 2.3 GHz 4 GB RAM), OSX 10.11.3, Newertech Voyager SATA drive dock
MOTU: DP 9.02, Traveler Mk 1, 896 MkIII Hybrid, MIDI Express XT
Alesis AI3 optical interface, QS8, QS7, DM Pro, DM5, QSR
Mackie Controller and Extender (original MIDI)
Pro Tools 12
EMRR
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: What is MOTU's "Type II" ADAT Optical format?

Post by EMRR »

No idea, the recent manuals are the first I recall seeing that difference mentioned.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing