Split output pairs w/Ultralite?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
jshg
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Split output pairs w/Ultralite?

Post by jshg »

Hello!

I am about to purchase an Ultralite mk3 hybrid. My question is this: is it possible to split the analog output pairs to be different? I see in the manual and videos that the analog outputs are always listed as 1-2, 3-4, etc. I know the Saffire Pro 40 is able to do this, but I'd rather buy the MOTU because I understand it is more reliable live (how I will mostly use it) and with Macs.

Thanks in advance,

Josh
NazRat
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Split output pairs w/Ultralite?

Post by NazRat »

In whatever DAW (or other software) you use they are assignable as mono analog outs if the software has that capability (the drivers present each output individually). In CueMix on the mix buses pan hard left or right to assign to one output (one side of the stereo pair).
DP8.06 PT11.2.0 VEP 5.3.x
828mkII 828mk3 ADA8000 MTP-AV Komplete Audio 6
Mac Mini Quad 10.9.4 - HP Quad Laptop Win 8.1
jshg

Post by jshg »

Beautiful, thanks for the quick response! I mostly use MainStage for live work.

Josh
NazRat
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by NazRat »

The last version of Mainstage that I saw (a couple of years ago) did not address mono outputs directly - everything was in stereo pairs. That would be true for the Saphire also. I don't know if newer versions address mono outs directly or you use the same hard pan method to place things on mono outs. Regardless, buy it from a place that accepts returns (i.e. Sweetwater) so you can send it back if it isn't working the way you expect or need. I don't think you'll have any issues, but may as well cover the bases.
DP8.06 PT11.2.0 VEP 5.3.x
828mkII 828mk3 ADA8000 MTP-AV Komplete Audio 6
Mac Mini Quad 10.9.4 - HP Quad Laptop Win 8.1
jshg

Post by jshg »

Thanks again. The mono outputs isn't truly a deal breaker, but, as you said, just trying to cover my bases.

Thanks!

Josh